Pitching and boxing

hey guys. i’m a pitcher in high school and just started boxing in the off-season. i read that boxing could be a good way to cross-train for baseball since boxers need to have so much speed and power in their arms.

i know that throwing a punch is a different motion than throwing a baseball, but i was wondering what people think. would faster arm speed developed from boxing translate to a faster fastball?

[quote=“Samo_292”]
i know that throwing a punch is a different motion than throwing a baseball, but i was wondering what people think. would faster arm speed developed from boxing translate to a faster fastball?[/quote]

The idea of creating torque and power with the hips to create a more powerful punch can carry over to one fastball.

The raw explosiveness of each could also correlate. By boxing and using your body slightly different, you can possibly acheive better coordination as well as the ability to activate more motor units at once.

However the actual arm motions do not necessarily cary over between the two. I actually think this can be good as you have a mental separation between the two, since the goal of both motions is so different.

When throwing, the arm has external rotation that helps to propel the ball.
A punch is more a press of the arm.

All that being said…

Stronger punch does NOT EQUAL faster pitch.

HOWEVER, boxing, and utilizing your body in such as way will possibly make you a better athlete, which will inturn increase your ability to apply force to a baseball when throwing.

The two motions have more in common than most people would think at first glance. I actually tried to start a conversation on this a while back, but it led to nothing. The mechanics of both are inherently different, with different purposes and different end results. However, there are aspects of the application of strength and power that are the same. The push off the back foot, the turning of the hips, and the corresponding rotation through the torso up to the shoulders - baseball and boxing have this in common.

The reason this is so important to me, aside from the fact that I like boxing, is that boxing and combat sports in general are lightyears ahead of baseball in terms of power development methods. A boxer is expected to be in top shape at all times, whereas some baseball players (ehmmm… Bartolo :roll:) are not. Also, the mental strength and toughness would probably benefit you more than any gains in velocity.

Good luck and make sure to wrap your hands well,
KC

Working from a power position/solid base, endurance and strength conditioning, concentration, coordination…I’d say lots in common. Unless you get your bell donged a couple too many times…but if you get all uglied up enough, you may make yourself a vicious looking closer…

I have a punching bag but have never really done X amount of boxing per week. I just do it for fun here and there. I tend to injure my wrist every now and then, that not happen to you? I guess I should tape my hands up, I just wear the gloves but don’t tape up my hands/wrist

Taylor, look in to getting some wraps (mexican wraps tend to be the best). You can also try to fix the root problems - fix your punching form and strengthen the wrist (lots of knuckle pushups, wrist rollers, etc.).

im sure its my form, i use it more as a stress reliever then a training tool

take this from a former boxer … wrap your hands up because you punch something like a bag or someone :stuck_out_tongue: and ur wrist is in a awkward position you WILL break or hurt yourself badly and you never know your wrist may never be the same after that.