Pitching analysis help (another 12 year old)

My son has been working at his pitching since age 9. He’s very short and I don’t see him continuing much as a pitcher in high school, but at this age it’s lots of fun for him.

He’s received some tips from people on this site a couple of years ago. 3 things I know he needs to work on:

1. He’s separating his hands too early
  2. Glove-side control isn’t what it should be.
  3. He’s opening up too much with his left leg step.

Any comments, thoughts, advice on how to fix 1-3?

Thanks,
Craig

Dont worry about his height… that doesnt matter until college & even then if he can get batters out with the right velocity there would be interest & oppty.

Staying with pitching will create many positives… stronger arm & increases his chances to make the better teams as he develops. Tie breaker on making a team will certainly go to the player who can also put up some innings on the mound.

Look up Herschiser drill… that will help with the lead leg action. He does break his hands high. Having said that the timing isnt that bad as it relates to the overall motion. My son has a more consistent break with better timing if we talk about where his hands should be (belly button to mid torso… your guy is at high chest) & also pick a spot where the lead leg should be when the hands break. For my son its well after balance point… its when his lead leg is 1 ft off the ground and already 2 ft away from rubber as it is driving to the plate.

Hope that made sense, but having him get the lower body moving first (leading with hip… Herschiser drill) & giving him a visual as well as “Feel” for the location & timing should help.

As far as the glove side mgmt… thats not my strong suit. Search some of "Roger"s posts… he has some good posts on those dynamics.

I do like ur sons shoulder alignment & glove position right up to rotation. It seems at rotation (a touch early btw) he seems to go “dead” with the glove mgmt. you’ll get better feedback from others but he does need to stablize it out in front close & above the knee and let the body come to it. Your guy seems to let it drop & dangle vs using it as key part of the release & finish.

ive found video is the best way for my son to get involved in mechanical changes… when he can see where he is at vs the goal it seems like the conversation leading up to and following go smoother.

again, keep him pitching if he enjoys it… the throwing sessions will lead to 5-10 % better arm & control down the road & that will serve him well at any fielding position.

My son made it onto one of the better squads this year due to pitching & is getting the early nod at SS due to his arm. The incumbent SS cant make the throw.

Thanks for the input. This was very helpful for my son. He’s been working a lot in the gym on flat-ground training and the exercises have had him overlook the simple leading with the hips.

He tried working on leading with his hip tonight and it seemed to help both this glove control and his hand separation.

Aha! He’s learning about “THE SECRET”! This is something I picked up on when I was a kid—getting the whole body into the action, not just throwing with the arm and the shoulder. I learned about it when I went to the original Yankee Stadium and saw how the Yankees’ legendary Big Three pitching rotation did it. They were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—not to mention taking a load off the arm and the shoulder. I saw how they were doing it, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own, and I discovered that I was doing the same thing they were—and throwing harder and faster with less effort. Not that I was particularly fast—but my natural sidearm delivery had more snap and sizzle to it.
The “Hershiser drill” is an important step, inasmuch as it aims at getting the hips fully involved in the process, And don’t worry about the kid’s size—how old is he, twelve? I’m willing to bet that he’s going to hit a growth spurt in the next couple of years—maybe more than one—and he won’t be so short any more. And as long as he continues to have fun pitching, he’ll be all right. 8)