Pitching Analysis, 14 YO - No Velocity

14 year old, 5.10 - 145 lbs.
Can only hit 60 mph when pitching.
Seems to have very strong arm throwing from the outfield. Coach can’t seem to figure it out - says my son should be throwing a lot hard since he can do it from outfield and his hitting exit velocity is low 70s (unsure how this factors in).
Working with a pitching coach who can’t seem to get past some issues with back leg - we’ve doing wall drill (he was rolling back on his foot during leg lift), bucket drill (starting in a sitting position) to get the feel of engaging his butt and also step back drill to engage the butt.

any suggestions / analysis is appreciated.

Thanks for posting! One of the first things I see is his throwing hand never comes back fully, he sort of tucks like a catcher. Needs more shoulder to hip separation.

Hi JKim 8520

When I look at videos to analyze, what I look for is a pitchers movement. Pitching from the mound and throwing from the outfield are 2 different movements. What I believe in is combining the two movements into solid pitching mechanics. The key movement difference between outfield throws and pitching is how the drive leg fires. This is why you will find such a discrepancies in outfield vs. mound pitching.

LTP%20Joseph%20Kim

I look for movement flaws in pitchers. Once movements are cleaned up, flaws correct themselves. You wrote that your pitching coach can’t seem to get past some issues with his back leg. I have the same issues. But, drills like the wall drill and bucket drill will do no good until he works on and fixes some early movements.

These are the flaws I see in his early movements:

1. Hand Break - The hands should break apart near the belt after the pitcher has started to shift his body weight (core) away from the rubber. This late hand break allow for proper timing of the body and the arm so that the throwing arm gets to the cocked position just as the pitcher is landing

Hand%20Break

2 Weight Shift/Early Momentum: What I see and that is a lack of early momentum (weight shift) at leg lift. High level pitchers have mastered this first movement. What we are looking for is a pitcher to shift his front hip away from the mound prior to hand break by using ground force to move his core down the mound while keeping his drive foot planted flat on the ground and keeping his support knee (vertical shin) over his support foot all before hand break.

Corey%20Oswalt

1. Quad Dominant Drive Leg: Joseph’s first move puts his weight to the ball of his back foot, his knee drifts forward of his toe and his heel comes off the ground. This immediately activates his quads and inhibits his glutes. The quad dominant move doesn’t generate the necessary energy to provide the velocity he needs, his body begins desperately seeking energy in all the wrong places. If you need to add velocity, improve command, or eliminate arm pain, this would be the place to start.

2. Glute Dominant Move: This is lower half efficiency. When a pitcher’s first move is through his entire foot, and he is generating ground force, he has a much better chance to activate his glutes. An efficient and powerful lower half appears in his first movement at leg lift. When a pitcher moves his core with his weight distributed through his entire foot utilizing his glutes, it allows him to get his butt behind his heel and his knee not forward of his toe.

glute-dominant-pitcher

1. Take a look at your image at first move. Compare it with the other images and you will see exactly what I mean.

Before doing wall drills and bucket drills, you need to clean up these movement first. Here is a video of an acquaintance of mine with first movement drills that will help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0deC-FEgoDY

Hope this helps
Steve C

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this analysis - I am big fan of Phil - really like how we breaks it down.

We will incorporate this into our training and post an updated video in couple of weeks.