Pitching Age - how old is too old?

Hello. I’m 29 years old. I would like to know if it’s worth it for me to even get into pitching at my age. I’ve only recently become fascinated by baseball, and that’s why I’m only now considering it. I understand this may not be exceptionally important, but I’m physically fit and strong, and have strong arms overall(grip, forearm.)
Is it too late for me to get into it? Have I missed my timing? Will I ever be able to reach accurate 85-95mps pitches? Do I stand a chance to at least be a college level pitcher?

I appreciate all your time and info!
Thank you

Most guys who are college pitchers have been working at it for a while. IF it is worth your time or not is up to you. If you love it, do it. Do you know haw hard you throw now?

Good luck,

Ted

All the major “ifs” apply…if you throw hard enough now, if you have enough natural ability, if you are willing or able with (I am assuming a job ect) to invest the time…if all those boxes are checked you would still need to find a college that would be interested in a 30 year old freshman pitcher.
The reality of college baseball is it is a full time gig. My son is at a small college as a pitcher. Their day starts at 5:45 in the weight room. You have to take a full schedule of classes to be on the baseball team (to help avoid “ringers”…a coach bring in a former pro for example who takes 3 credits).
So, his typical school day looks like this:
5:00 AM…Get ready
5:45 AM…Weight lifting/conditioning
7:30 AM…Daily classes start
2:00 PM…Daily classes end
3:00 PM…Baseball practice starts
6:00/6:30 PM…Baseball practice ends
7:00 PM…Team meeting/individual work
7:30 PM…Study Hall
9:00 PM…Home

A day with classes is a full 16 hour day. There is an hour for lunch and a little time between classes, but, not much. A recent study found the number one complaint and also the number one reason college freshman who were in school and playing sports at the NCAA level left school or reported serious struggles was…they were exhausted.
I would assume a 30 year old with some life experience would have an easier time managing the schedule and adapting than an 19 year old kid on his own for the first time, however, working a job and being a full time student athlete is very, very tough. Your passion to play would have to be on a legendary level.
My advice is to seek out a pitching coach, work on it, have fun, see where you are and seek out a mens league that matches your skill level. Some mens leagues are a bad level of baseball, some are very competitive with many ex college and pro players. There is a level for most players if you are willing to travel if needed.
Have fun, keep us posted!!

Your response has given me hope, thank you for not shutting me down right away!
Unfortunately I haven’t pitched off off a mound, let alone timed any of my throws. Any suggestions on where and how I can go about determining my speed?
Thank you, Ted!

I appreciate your response, good sir! Mainly because the more I learn about baseball and pitching the more I understand and believe how difficult it is, but not impossible. I am very much willing to learn, but it’s hard for me to assess my own natural ability and to determine how hard I throw. One thing I can say with confidence is that when I see a baseball pitcher go through the motion of a pitch, the mechanics make perfect sense to me. I’m open to any suggestions on what steps I should take next.
Thank you, fearsomefour!

I noticed you stated “college level” pitcher. Does that mean you intend to enroll at the age of 30? Or, does that mean you want to reach the skill equivalent of a college level? If it’s just to reach the skill level, there are also various “college levels” to consider. So, do I think you could reach “college level”? I think it’s possible, but not probable.

At any rate, you should begin right away, if you are serious. You aren’t getting any younger.

A more realistic goal might be to join an Over 30 league and get on a team for some game experience. There are also winter leagues for this. Also, you don’t mention any playing experience. If you are new to playing the game, then you should begin to train right away and find a throwing partner ASAP.

The teams around here begin to work out in February for the Over 30 and Over 40 teams. Use the time between now and then to work on your fundamentals and mechanics. Good luck.

Hello, Coach Paul.
If enrolling at a college becomes the only major thing I can do to increase my level as a pitcher once I exhaust all other possible resources of self development, then I would be more than happy to do it. I don’t have college education, so this would mean killing two birds with one stone.

I’ve thought about joining baseball leagues, and once I’m at that level I will join one, but unfortunately at this time I have zero baseball experience. I don’t even know where to start, most pitching programs I find are developed for middle school and high school kids.

I bought myself a glove and a bucket of balls, and now I don’t know what my next step needs to be. Do I need any other equipment as an absolute beginner? Do I need cleats? Do I need to throw off of a mound? Do I need to throw at 60ft or will half that distance in my backyard be enough? How often do I need to train? Do I need to throw my hardest every time I train?
Should I try to contact a local college coach and ask for direction? Would I be taken seriously, or would they take time to talk to me even though I’m not a student there?

I have all these questions :slight_smile: but don’t know how to go about getting them answered. I suppose that’s why I’ve joined this forum here. I’ll be thankful for any and all answers and info you can help me with!
Thanks, Coach

Glove, bat, balls, spikes, cup, cap, sunglasses are the basic gear you will need.
You definitely need a partner and/or instructor. A place to throw, even through the winter (since you are starting out, you should not take the winter off). You may want to set up a net, target, or backstop of some kind to throw at when you can’t find a partner. You will need to throw often.

As far as distance, just start at where is comfortable and add distance as you can manage it. Every throw needs focus and intent. Even playing catch–you are there to work. Benefit from the experience of each throw.

I would not involve a college coach, at this stage, you will not be taken seriously. The coach will probably try to find a polite way, if you are lucky, to brush you off. Perhaps if he is looking for help with equipment management or field prep and set up for practices, etc. he may take you on as a volunteer team helper which would get you exposed to college level players and you will see, first hand, what your goal really is.

As far as what you should be doing. I’d keep it simple for now. Warm up, get the blood flowing and get a bit of a sweat going before you pick up a ball. Start off slow and smooth, establish your throwing motion, then work on building speed of movement for your entire body–not just your arm. I would recommend that you start off with a coach of some kind. It doesn’t need to be a pitching coach–just someone familiar with baseball instruction.

You should throw daily until your repetitions and velocity start getting serious, then cut back to 3-4 times per week and eventually when your pitch counts get higher you can scale back to 2-3 times per week.
That should get you started.