Pitching again after a long break.

Hey everyone, I am new to the board but I have been a casual reader for the last 2 years. I am 19 and trying out for my Colleges Baseball Team.

My senior year in my last game of spring ball I partially Tore my MCL. Let me tell you it was very painful. I was told I would not be 100% for about 12 weeks. 80% in 6 weeks and 50% in 2. I had a summer season coming up and knowing that Freshman tryouts were coming up for the college team this fall (Fall of 2011) I knew I needed to work hard. I pushed myself in therapy worked really hard, and I was itching to play baseball. I was told 6-8 weeks I was back playing in 4. Now with some limitations of course. I am a pitcher and an outfielder…no outfield for me. I could pitch but on a limited basis, so they moved me to 2nd base, coach got alot of flack for it because i’m left handed but I held my own (no errors) and went 12-21 hitting for that year (all singles) I was slow, sore, and out of shape lets just put it. I was hitting well but my pitching was not so hot.

I went to tryouts still not being able to play outfield so i just pitched. Each pitcher threw about 6 IP by the time i got cut and I gave up only 1 run, but my velocity was gone because I could not bend my back knee. I pitched well but got cut. All year i lifted and worked on running, and fat loss, I am 40 lbs lighter from christmas and now i am giving it one more go.

I struggled pitching this summer, couldn’t get my release point, my velocity was good but no control (prob throwing 5-7 MPH faster then my senior year) and i grew 3 inches. Still pretty short at 5ft8 but I can’t control that nor will i use it as an excuse. I hurt my shoulder in June. not sure what the injury was but I couldn’t throw a baseball without pain, one pitch and i was done. So i stopped throwing until a week ago and the pain is gone now. So far in tryouts I have been playing outfield and first, we have our first scrimmage today and they asked me to pitch since they knew me from last year.

After not throwing for a few months what approach should I take to this outing. People tell me its just a scrimmage and not to worry but every outing from here on out could be my last and I could get cut. I found a good life in college so if i dont make the team i’ll be fine so i am not near as nervous as last year, just competitive and my love for baseball is still there. After not pitching for two months, and not pitching effectively for over a year, how should I go at these guys? I have no pain in my shoulder or my knees so i am ready to go. I guess this has to do more with Mental strength but I want to see what you guys have for an opinion!

Thanks!

• Spencer

Well first off, you need to start throwing immediately. Regaining your arm strength and reducing soreness should be your first goal. I don’t recommend trying out for a team if you haven’t thrown in months.

How much time do you have to prepare? And how much time are you willing to put in?

Many pitching coaches—guys like Johnny Sain and Leo Mazzone—have said “Throw every day”. And they’re right. Throwing every day, whether it be just playing catch for twenty minutes or so, long toss, a good bullpen session, you name it, is the best way to build up and maintain arm strength. Even if you can’t find a catcher, you can always mark off a strike zone on a wall with a piece of chalk and throw to that. But do that—throw every day. 8)