Pitching advice for pitcher with UCL injury

Hi there,
I am a 21 year old pitcher who pitched in HS. I’ve had recurring UCL injuries over the past few years, and am working on rehabbing my UCL with plans on returning to pitch somewhere (in recreational league possibly). Although I plan on rehabbing my elbow as well as I can, it’s likely i’ll still be throwing with some discomfort/pain, as I did in my senior year of HS.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to alter my mechanics to take a lot of pressure off of my elbow?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Did you get an MRI and what was the diagnosis? If it’s a partial tear or greater, then you have to professionally rehab. Check out Dr. Andrews for anything UCL related. He has good advise. After a good “Return to Throwing Program” I would get with somebody like Eric Cressey (Cressey Sports Performance), or even the Texas/Florida Baseball Ranch and have them evaluate your mechanics. (You may be able to send your video in). They will then build a program for you that tackles more than just mechanics. They’ll include programs for ROM, Strength, Flexibility, etc. This is IF you want it done right. Keep in mind if you keep pitching with the pain and you end up tearing the entire UCL you will be having TJ surgery.

mattfisher,

“I am a 21 year old pitcher who pitched in HS.”

When adult the training regimen can be increased but starting out fresh a slow prudent learning curve is best. Your problems can all be eliminated by knowledge.

“ I’ve had recurring UCL injuries over the past few years”

How do you know this ? Do you understand Ligaments have no pain receptors like Tendons do?

What did the MRI with contrast say?

“ working on rehabbing my UCL with plans on returning to pitch somewhere”

Grade tears with Ligaments heal back with time as a clump of scar tissue. This will keep happening if you pitch with your current pathomechanic of using that ligament as part your contractive forwards pathway.

“ Although I plan on rehabbing my elbow as well as I can, it’s likely i’ll still be throwing with some discomfort/pain, as I did in my senior year of HS.”

This means your approach uses the traditional and intuitive drive mechanics of forearm flyout and supinated pitch types that put your Elbow (UCL)(Flexor mass and their Tendons) at risk by being late in transition of your Humerus!

“Does anyone have any suggestions for how to alter my mechanics to take a lot of pressure off of my elbow?”

#1. Learn how to outwardly rotate your Humerus and forearm as you take it back down then up with your thumb up and throwing fingers slightly under the ball. (Now you have arrived on time and on line.

#2. Learn all forearm pronated pitch types where the Thumb drives down and the Elbow pops up.

#3 Stay tall, stride short and recover tall by trying to rotate as fast as you can by using the glove side leg as the initial power source.

“Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!”

Buy yourself a pair 10 lb wrist weights to start with. in 4 months you will move up to 12.5 LB’s.

These are for drive and eccentric recovery exercises where you throw the wrist weights.

Find your self a 6 lb… lead ball and coat it in some kind of sealer. This weight will also increase in 4 months when you do the release overload drill. Don’t mess around with the youth weight dead blow balls (Plyo) they are way to light for an adult to gain fitness.

Go to Dr. Mike Marshall’s web site, it’s free, and copy the 120 day HS Sport specific interval overload training program. This is also the recommended program for UCL surgical rehab for all adults! Perform the program and at the end you will be ready to compete. When you have performed a season move on to the adult recoil cycle routines for further fitness. Be prepared to never having to worry about your arm again.