Pitching advice - 18 year old

I just started throwing and have tried picking up some info and technique on my own over the past few months, just looking for some constructive criticism or advice anyone has on how to up velocity and control…

take a look

Just a quick post before I get going to work, not too much as far as mechanics I can offer to help in such short time other then, when you lift your leg don’t push your glove hand forward like that, keep it where it is and just do your leg lift. You also open up way too much, if you watch your video you can see your leg is landing about a foot back from your back foot, try to stride straight forward.

Just something to add, I’ve seen plenty of guys in 15 years of playing baseball from good(guys who have been drafted or are still playing pro ball somewhere) to bad and even terrible and I truly feel if you work on your mechanics you may just have one of those natural arms. I truly feel you could definitely get into the upper 80’s with relative ease compared to how most of us have to work to get there(myself included, still haven’t gotten the velo I want)

Let me share with you two things which contributed greatly to my success as a pitcher in my playing days, many moons ago.
First, there was something I used to do when I was a little snip and which I continued to do for years after that. I would get a catcher, and either he would mark off with chalk a home plate and a pitcher’s rubber at the requisite 60’6" inches distance—or, if we could get to a playing field that wasn’t being used, I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate. (The problem with the chalk was that the markings were all too readily scuffed into oblivion!) And we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”. The catcher would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head :lol:, and what I had to do was concentrate on getting the ball into the pocket of the mitt, wherever it was. This was more than just a drill; it was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and in my opinion there’s nothing like it for sharpening one’s control, pitching to spots and all that—what a good satisfying feeling it was to hear that “THWACK” as the ball hit the pocket. From time to time we would get someone to stand in the batter’s box, on either side, so I could really zero in on the strike zone (which in my day was a lot bigger than it is now). I did this with all my pitches, at varying speeds, and with the crossfire move (I was a natural sidearmer). We would go at this a couple of times a week, an hour at a time.
The second thing I want to share with you is something I call “THE SECRET”. I picked up on this one day when I had gone to Yankee Stadium—the original ballpark—and I was sitting in my usual spot, the upper deck behind home plate which gave me an unparalleled view of the whole field. I was watching the pitchers, and I noticed that their Big Three rotation—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using their legs, their hips and their torsos in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—even Lopat, who definitely was not a fireballer—and in doing so they took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so that said arm and shoulder were just going along for the ride. They all threw harder with less effort, and not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in that bunch!!! I watched them, and I saw exactly how they were doing it, and I made a note of this and began working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics—and believe me, it is indeed essential—I noticed that I was doing the same thing they were. I also noticed that my sidearm delivery had a lot more snap and sizzle to it, even though I was no more a fireballer than Mr. Lopat. Throwing harder with less effort—you can’t beat that! And as time went on and I added more snake-jazz to my repertoire, I found that I needed fewer pitches to get what I wanted: all those delicious outs. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is THE SECRET.
If you work at combining these two elements, not to mention eating right and getting plenty of rest, you’ll find it a lot easier going on the mound. Go to it, and have fun! :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher: