Pitching accuracy

Hello all
My son was the pitching ace on his team last year and beginning of this season. Now all the sudden he can’t throw strikes and he is so frustrated he doesn’t want to pitch anymore. Any suggestions or things I should look for? Thanks for your help

One of the first things that I see with kids is the lead glove not coming back to the chest, they usually start getting lazy with this which causes the glove to swing around to their side which may cause an over rotation and would mean he is probably missing more right to left. If this is not the case and he is missing more top to bottom(high and low) watch his stride, if he has shortened his stride the ball may be coming in high more than not.

Thanks for the ideas. But he is missing left ,right, and especially in the dirt like three feet on front of the plate.

Try posting video of him pitching. Any suggestions without seeing the problem is pure speculation.

Thanks Turn I will try to get one up

video would definitely help as then we could see specifics.

1. Video should be good to see if there’s a mechanical flaw. I looked over your other posts and noticed several videos previously posted, so one of the eagle-eyes here may be able to tell if you son has picked up a flaw somewhere.

2. Throwing the ball into the dirt is, IMO, a release point issue. If I try to throw really hard, I’ll end up tensing up my arm, resulting in a too-tight grip on the ball and then I’ll throw it in the dirt. So make sure the arm is relaxed and the grip is not too tight.

3. Possible non-mechanical issues:

Has the mound been moved back recently?

Is the problem mental? You noted that he can get very upset when he fails. Are you putting too much pressure on him?

How much pitching has he done so far this year? It’s the end of October! Even the pros are taking an off-season break. Taking a few months off from baseball is proven to be the healthiest thing for a young pitcher’s mind and body. Next spring, he will return with a fresh attitude and a fresh arm!

In addition to all of the above suggestions…

A growth spurt can wreak havoc on young pitchers.

Instruction he’s been given could be causing issues (although that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s wrong - maybe it’s been inconsistent or maybe there haven’t been enough repetitions to get things working).

Pain or soreness can cause mechanics to be altered.

There’s really a bunch of things that can be contributing. And it doesn’t have to be just one of them - it could be a combination of them.

Posting some video will best help us help you.

Here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip and continued to do all through my playing days—perhaps you can do this while waiting for videos to be posted.
I would get a catcher, and we would usually go to a playing field that wasn’t being used at the time. He would set up behind the plate with his mitt, whiloe I took the mound, and we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”. He would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, on the corners, every which way but standing on his head, and I would work on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of said mitt. We would go at it for an hour at a time! It was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and one of the best ways to sharpen up my control. I worked at it with all my pitches, at different speeds, both long-arm and short-arm sidearm deliveries, including the crossfire which I had fallen in love with. And oh, what a satisfying feeling to hear that “thwack” as the ball hit the pocket of said catcher’s mitt! :slight_smile:

cheslin,

One of worst things anyone can do is jump to hasty conclusions. For that reason, I’m wondering just how bad what you’re “perceiving” really is. An easy way to tell, is to use some different stats from last season and compare them to when you started noticing the problem.

A few very easy ways to tell is to look at strike %, 1st pitch strike %, and BBs per AB. If he’s really having the problems you’re seeing, those problems should be reflected when comparing those numbers. Once you’ve quantified the problem, it may give you some insight into solving it.