Pitches only work once!

This has been plauging me for a long time, when I learn a new pitch, it does whatever it is supossed to (drop, curve, or sink or whatever) great but only on the first day of throwing it and then every other time after that it doesn’t move an inch. This has happened for every pitch I have ever tried and of any one knows why this happens or how to stop it, it would be much appreciated!

I had the same happen to me with a circle change that I threw had a great screwball movement to it. only threw it for one day lol

This is more common than you think with a lot of pitchers, I’ve found. For whatever reason(s), I think that the mind and body have little reason to overthink the process – it’s unknown, “let’s give it a shot” kind of thing. I’m under the opinion that the body is far more relaxed and willing to go with the flow without that “I must do this-n-that" mental and physical rigidness. But then again, perhaps there’s a lot more to the process than I’m aware of.

I’ve had pitchers, that for whatever reason, wanted to add another pitch to their inventory – picked up the ball, then with the basics of how to hold, reared back and with about two-thirds game speed or less, let the ball fly…. and bingo… it’s a beauty. Following that first one, with a second try, and not so good (compared to the first try.) The pitches that I’ve seen work better than not on the first try, with curveballs and fastballs by location… especially fastballs up-n-in. But then again, this has been my experienced based on the pitchers that I’ve had and the environment that those pitchers and I were in.

Now I haven’t seen this with every single pitcher that I’ve had, but enough to expect it without too much fanfare, or tweaking this and that. It just happens. On the other hand, with concentration and practice, the pitch that they were trying to master did come around with practice.

If you can video yourself during your entire pitching cycle and pick that cycle apart, perhaps you’ll see something in that mix that will be a “must do” for the future of the pitch.

Great topic by the way and nicely put together by Throwin_smoke79 and GeniusAnimus.

I would like to add this to my response. We as human beings are not machines that can, and will, do the same thing over and over again with precise repetitiveness. We’ll add just a enough variation, regardless how small, deliberately or not, to every single move that we make, physically. This is what makes the pitching process, coaching pitchers, and your experiences so challenging. Sometimes just the slightest variation in one or more parts of the body can, and will, make a ton of difference in the outcome of what that pitcher is trying to accomplish. Add to this, age, physical condition, environmental conditions and no wonder this act (pitching) is so demanding on everyone.

Also in your experiences, the surface that your pitching off of can make a big difference in your body’s beginning body posture along with how you progress through your pitching cycle.

Uneven graded surfaces, poorly manicured mounds, mounds composed of sand, topsoil and the like will do little to support your work. Also, and sometimes overlooked in amateur baseball, is the condition of the baseball itself. Balls that have gone through five innings of play that have been wacked around pretty good, may not hold up so well, thus giving you added dynamics to what your holding and trying to accomplish. Adding to the ball’s condition - grass stains, dampness, sand and other surface influences passed on your grip, may change things with that grip’s ability to do what you want.

This was something Eddie Lopat used to tell pitchers: “Never the same pitch, never the same speed, never the same place.” He never meant that once you throw a pitch, that’s it, you can never use it again; what he meant was that you have to vary the speed of the pitch, the location, and not be a robot. You still have to throw with the same motion and the same arm speed—but, for example, you can throw a curveball using different arm angles, take a little or a lot off the pitch or, conversely, put something extra on it (what Lefty Gomez used to call “giving it the old eephus”). However, one thing you need to do is stay away from the middle of the plate because that’s what the batters are looking for—something in their wheelhouse! :slight_smile: