Pitches going high

My son has pitched a few games this spring and all went well. Game this morning and everything he threw was going high and it was very frustrating for him (14 yr old). Only thing different was the mound was very high. A couple of questions for the board - 1) if pitches are consistently going high, is that an indication of what type of fault and 2) would a high mound contribute?
My only other thought is that he is not a morning person!

Thanks

A lot of times when kids are on mounds that feel unnatural they don’t finish their pitches. Just the other day one of our pitchers was on a mound that was almost flat and he forgot to finish down and was straight up and down instead of following through, it caused him to not throw downhill, I would assume that is what your kid’s problem was, he wasn’t finishing and so his pitches sailed on him.

Pustulio is right. Most likely it’s a combination of the two—an uncomfortable mound and failure to complete one’s pitches. I don’t know whether anything can be done about the mound—but the kid has to make sure he follows through.
A few years ago in Kansas City, Yankee pitcher Chien-Ming Wang was having a very similar problem. The mound in Kauffman Stadium is lower and flatter than in other major-league ballparks, and Wang, being a sinkerball pitcher, found himself throwing high all the time. One day Jorge Posada went out to the mound and told Wang to shorten his stride and make sure to follow through all the way—to complete his pitches. The pitcher did so, and that solved the problem. Now, I don’t know whether the kid throws a sinker or not, but if he sees to it that he finishes his pitches he shouldn’t have a problem keeping the ball down. In addition, his arm angle may be a factor—perhaps if he lowers it to more of a 3/4 angle he might have better luck getting his pitches to stay down in the zone. 8)

If I’m throwing high, or if my teammates are, I just tell them to stride longer.

I’ve got a question about high pitches aswell :o
I had a game today, with our veteran team( they didnt have enough pitchers and i didnt have a game that weekend so i pitched there:P ) anyhow

One of our own pitchers was the umpire for that game. and he noticed that every high pitch that i made, was ALOT faster than my normal pitches down in the zone.

How does this happen? holding on longer to the ball is suppose to give it more speed right :roll: ? its exactly the other way around :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“RodriGueZ”]I’ve got a question about high pitches aswell :o
I had a game today, with our veteran team( they didnt have enough pitchers and i didnt have a game that weekend so i pitched there:P ) anyhow

One of our own pitchers was the umpire for that game. and he noticed that every high pitch that i made, was ALOT faster than my normal pitches down in the zone.

How does this happen? holding on longer to the ball is suppose to give it more speed right :roll: ? its exactly the other way around :P[/quote]

do everything you do the same, but just stride farther, try it out