Pitches and/or Grips

So I’ll start off. I am 13. I can throw a four seam fastball, change-up, curveball, and a splitter. This may be hard to believe, but i practice every day on all of these pitches. my fastball is around 60-65 mph and has a minimum amount of movement. my change-up is around 50 mph and has a slight downward movement. my curveball usually reaches to 45 mph and has enough movement to occasionally fool the batter and strike them out. my best pitch, the splitter, is about 55-57 mph and has a very good downward movement that has fooled people a lot. I like to use a lot of pressure with my thumb and a lot less with my two fingers so it can move more downward off my thumb.

You might want to try a two-seam fast ball, otherwise known as a sinker. That pitch has a great deal of movement, and you might be able to get more speed with it than with the four-seamer—not to mention that it will be a lot harder for the batters to get at. 8)

14 year old Freshman
4 seamer,
2 seamer,
circle change,
curveball(get me over and power curve)

well i’ll think of trying a two seamer, maybe it would help against righties if i throw it slightly inside and it comes back and touches the corner of the plate. :smiley:

What I used to do, way back when, was a twice-a-week full bullpen session during which I would work on all my pitches, at different speeds. I had a catcher who would position his mitt in different areas so I could zero in on all parts of the strike zone—except, of course, for the middle of the plate, which my wise and wonderful pitching coach had cautioned me about. It was a lot of fun, and from time to time we would get someone to stand in the batter’s box, on either side, so I could work on that. Also, I would work on my crossfire—I was one of those infuriating sidearmers who used that move a lot, and would you believe I had to signal my catcher to be ready for it! 8)

a sidearm pitcher… sweet!! i’ve always wondered how someone can pitch sidearm, that seems really hard

Actually, the sidearm delivery is the easiest, most natural of all, because it puts no particular strain on the arm and shoulder. I’ve always thrown that way; I was eleven years old when I discovered that I had a natural one—and, what came attached to it, a nice little curve ball. A sidearm pitcher can throw with either the long-arm (a la Walter Johnson) or the short-arm (a la Jeff Nelson and others) motion; I learned to use both. And a sidearmer has one advantage no other type of pitcher has—the crossfire: a beautiful and lethal move that works only with this delivery and which will work with any pitch. My incredible pitching coach saw that I threw this way all the time and showed me how to take full advantage of it. 8) :baseballpitcher:

my brother throws sidearm and he’s 17. He pitches to me sometimes but not often. he slightly throw a slider but not very well. But last time he pitched to me, he hit me in the head and it kinda hurt but my mom was freaking out.

He needs to work on location, is what he needs to do—control, hit his spots. And if he’s working on a slider…here’s what he needs to do.
The slider grip is very much off-center, with the index and middle fingers very close together and one finger just touching a seam, with the thumb underneath the ball for balance and support. And to throw that pitch, the thing to do is throw it like a curve but NOT to snap the wrist—just roll it, turn it over (think of a chef flipping a pancake or a crepe). And work on it—I remember when I learned to throw that pitch, I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, but I realized I wasn’t going to get it overnight, so I worked on it for some months and finally got comfortable enough with it to use it in a game. That slider became my strikeout pitch.

I think you’ll find this interesting.
I was watching the White Sox-Twins game tonight (Sox won 6-1), and the guy who started for Chicago—a young fellow named Zach Stewart, who looked quite impressive—was throwing something the announcers called a “slip” pitch. It looked like a very, very good changeup, and Ken harrelson was talking about it—about how Paul Richards had brought it up to the majors and had taught it to a couple of guys, and how some years later one of his students in Texas had learned the pitch and had taught it to Stewart. I remember the whole foofaraw that had arisen regarding this pitch, how sportswriters had been falling all over themselves trying to find out what it was, and how because no one was talking it had been decided that this pitch would forever be a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.
And I had to laugh, because I have known for years what the “slip” pitch really was.
It seems that there was another pitcher who had known about it. He had seen it thrown in the AA Southern Association in the early 40s, had made a mental note of it and had been quietly working on it. In 1953, after the All-Star break, he had uncorked it, to the dismay and discomfiture of the hitters who couldn’t do a thing with it. This pitcher was Ed Lopat, one of the mainstays of the Yankees’ mound staff, and one day after a ball game I caught up to him and asked him what all the mystery was about. After a couple of minutes during which he had just burst out laughing and I had gotten caught up in all the hilarity, he said philosophically: “I don’t get it. I just don’t understand what it is with those sports writers—the way they come on, trying to make something arcane out of such a simple pitch.” And then he told me what it was and how to throw it. He said, "Get a knuckleball grip and throw the slider with it."
And that’s what the “slip” pitch is—a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip. The prerequisite is a good slider—which I had—and if you can throw it you can throw the “slip” pitch; which knuckleball grip you use is up to you because there are several to choose from. And that pitch does look like a very, very good—and very, very unhittable—changeup. I got the hang of it in a week and added it to my rapidly expanding collection of stuff—another pitch the batters couldn’t hit to save themselves.
You never know what you’ll come up with. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

that is interesting, very interesting. but theres no way i could throw that because i cant throw a slider or a knuckleball, so mixing them would be impossible for me right now.

You may want to back off the splitter a little bit. If your hands aren’t big enough, it will put a tremendous amount of strain on your forearm and elbow which could ultimately lead to Tommy John. I’m not saying it will, but that’s what happened to me. Had a devastating split that came in at the 82-84 mph range and just fell off the table (or went straight to the backstop).

well i have big hands. im also 6 ft tall and only 13 so i probably wont need to worry, but thanks anyway :smiley: