Pitchers vs Quarterbacks

You rarely hear about quarterbacks needing arm surgeries or experiencing any of the zillion arm problems that pitchers suffer from. What I want to know is why? While talking about this with my teammates they all thought that it was due to the short season and limited amount of throws at full force per game. I say that can not really be the case becuase a starting pitcher will only throw in a game at most two times per 7 days on a regular schedule. Also it is not as if quarterbacks just sit around and do nothing during the practice week. They are throwing deep routes all week just as pitchers are throwing fastballs in the pen. A football is also heavier so you might think that it puts more stress on the arm, but still throwing related injuries are not common. My opinion is that is has to do with the way they work out. Bench press is a staple in the weight room for a football player but is always shunned by pitchers and pitching coaches. While I realize that using one specific freak as an example is a weak argument, Nolan Ryan was all about benching… I believe that pitchers baby their bodies in an effort to create the “perfect” pitchers body which is supposed to be elastic and free of bulk in the upper body. I am curious if anyone on here either is, knows, or knows of a college quarterback or quarterbacks coach and can give some insight into what the average lifting program of a QB is and how similar or different it is to the rest of the teams program???

Looking forward to some educated responses. I was thinking about the comparison of motions just yesterday.

Here’s some novice speculation:

Arm speed less taxing?
Different motion (less bounce)?
Pronation differences?

I would say it has something to do with how fast the athletes arm is moving. Pitchers arms move at a higher speed than a quarterbacks which adds more stress to the decelerating muscles that tend to get injured. You could also say throwing a football puts your arm in better alignment than throwing a baseball does. You don’t see many quarterbacks who hyper abduct their arm when they throw. And generally pitchers make more throws than QB’s. Those are some of my guesses and I’m no where near and expert on this.

I would question whether a pitcher moves their arm faster. I saw on a sports medicine TV show or myth busters something along those lines that a quarterbacks arm moves much faster than a pitcher who throws 95.

You’re probably right, I was just throwing that out there.

i don’t know the specifics but it was on TV. Hopefully i can search it up for more details

i came up with this http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/research/usedarticles/baseballvsfootball.htm

but no luck on that show i saw a few years ago.

There’s no way a QB’s arm moves as fast as a baseball pitcher’s. The football weighs significantly more than the baseball and cannot be accelerated in the most efficient manner possible (by applying force from directly behind the ball).

Additionally, QBs pronate through release, as it is how a perfect spiral is imparted.

It may be wrist velocity not arm speed where the quarterbacks moving faster. I’m almost certain though the show was on the science network using ben roeselthburger and his RPM was faster than that of a 95 mph thrower.

Pronation is the reason. Watch a QB throw in slow motion and you will see them pronate through Qthe ball. This takes pressure off the shoulder and allows QB’s to throw all day with injuries being very rare. Pronation is also a big part of what Mike Marshall teaches and that is why he claims his pitchers can throw all day without getting injured.

Arm strength vs. Hand speed.

The majority of pitchers pronate just as much as quarterbacks. Its nothing special, and it wont make you throw all day long. The reason marshalls guys throw so long is that they only usually throw in the 70-80mph range. This takes alot less energy than throwing in the 90-100mph range.

Slope of the mound, that’s the main reason. Forces quicker, more violent external rotation.

A QB’s shoulder may indeed rotate through its ROM faster than a pitcher yet not generate the same ball speed. The pitcher is throwing a lighter object and typically has a longer arm path, thus more time to accelerate to final velocity. Because the football is heavier the stride and arm path are shorter thus requiring quicker acceleration in a shorter amount of time. Just because the initial acceleration may be faster doesn’t mean the top end will be faster however.

I’ll open a whole new can of worms.

I bet that every quarterback in the NFL can throw a baseball at least 85 mph.

wow i cant believe no one thinks that its becuase of the way that they train. No one thinks that a stronger total body translates into less injuries? Pitchers pronate just as much as quarterbacks and as far as the violent motion there are pitchers with smooth mechanics as there are QBs with a smooth delivery. The opposite is also true.

I’m surprised noone’s mentioned pitch/pass counts. Pitchers throw more, yes?

Really, it seems to me the answer is “all of the above”.

That could be part of it; there can be a lack of physical strength with some pitchers because a lot of them are so afraid of hurting themselves doing certain lifts that they never strengthen the muscles.

pronation is a natural event. it just happens with a throw or pitch. its part of the arms slowing down process.

[quote=“UndersizedRHP”]I’ll open a whole new can of worms.

I bet that every quarterback in the NFL can throw a baseball at least 85 mph.[/quote]

Agreed. I’ll bet you it’s closer to 90.