Pitchers power drive/using hips

So I keep seeing ads for the pitcher’s power drive, and I really like the concept that it tells you when you activate your hips/lower half. I’m still struggling to figure out how to activate my lower half. However, I don’t necessarily want to pay $200+ dollars for something that could potentially not work for me. Granted, if it truly brought my velocity up 10 mph like it promises (which I don’t doubt it could, I don’t use my legs well at all and topped at 84), then it would be worth every cent, but I dont have that kind of money.

Is it worth making the investment, and regardless, does anyone have drills outside of the Hershiser drill for activating hips/lower body? I know what the Hershiser drill is supposed to do, but it doesn’t seem to help me.

Thanks guys

I don’t know if it would raise you from 84- 94 mph. Im curious about this too.

I mean I just want 88-92, but I’m just wondering if someone knows of anything that can make me activate my hips/works the same type of way as the power drive.

well first of all what are your strength levels? one can only use the lower half optimally if they have the required strength/moblity in muscles/joints and if you want to really break it down, what type of muscle fibers do you have

and 2ndly, im not sure if you have video but that would really help

The “Hershiser” drill is an excellent place to start. Its purpose is to get the hips fully involved, and you don’t need any gadgets or other special equipment—just a fence or a wall. You can find it on this website and also on the NPA website; either one will give you specific details on how to do this drill.
I may have mentioned this before, either here or someplace else on the site: you need to get the whole body into the action. You drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, thus generating more power behind your pitches (not to mention taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so you can throw harder—and faster—with less effort.) The hips are actually the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body, so it’s essential to get them totally involved.
I learned this a long time ago from watching how the Yankees’ Big Three did it, I made a note of it, and I worked on it on my own—with fantastic results. Later on my pitching coach—a member of that rotation—helped me refine it, and believe me, it works. 8)

anyone ever try this thing out?

I saw another product that looks similar but cheaper

http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/23853/baseball-power-drive-pitching-mound-training-aid.html

The concept has been around for years. Not worth the money. Here’s what you need.

1. Take a piece of plywood and cut it 2 ft wide and 1 ft tall
  2. Take a 2 x 4 and screw it into the middle of the board underneath.

It will take you 15 mins to build and cost maybe $20 at the most. We use scrap wood.

Great tip thinktank