Pitchers hitting in big spots

I have a question that has been bothering me for ages. If i am a pitcher, di i have to have a powerful at bat every time i come up. Also, is there the same pressure on a pitcher hitting in a big spot rather than a normal first baseman hitting in the same opputunity?

No, it’s not necessary to have a powerful at-bat every time up—but you should be able to put down a good sacrifice bunt with a runner on first, to move him into scoring position. It’s unfortunate that in the American League the advent of the designated hitter (booooo) has done away with even that, and even in the National League where pitchers do bat we find very few who can execute a sacrifice, let alone swing a bat effectively (a prime example is Jason Marquis, who knows what to do with a bat). But if you find yourself at bat with a runner on, you should know how to bunt and get that runner up another 90 feet.
I remember when, ages ago, the American League woods were full of good hitting pitchers—Red Ruffing, Spud Chandler, Joe Page, Allie Reynolds, Ed Lopat, Bob Lemon, Early Wynn, Mel Parnell, Virgil Trucks, the list is a long one. Those guys could do more than just bunt; quite a few of them could hit for power and then some—I remember Page being used as a pinch-hitter time and again because he had home-run power. And Lopat—well, he didn’t look as if he even knew how to hold a bat, but when he came to the plate, particularly with runners on base, the other team’s outfield had to play straight away and up against the fence and hope that he would take pity on them and not hit the ball over their heads (which he was likely to do anyway). (sigh) Those days are gone forever, I’m afraid. :roll:

Well im the biggest, tallest kid on my team and i have always had the pressure to hit good since im in the 4th spot.

Well in younger leagues often times the pitcher’s are the better players just because they are more athletic and naturally throw hard without having to have much mechanical training. With my team all the pitchers have two or three positions they can play besides pitcher because we have so few players.

I pitch and I can hit pretty well, just don’t put pressure on yourself, it’s all in your head if you are feeling pressure it’s because you’re letting yourself feel it, just relax and have fun with it.

As far as pitchers who can hit in the MLB I know recently CC Sabathia when he was in the NL with Milwaukee was a great hitter and then we have Micah Owings and Carlos Zambrano can hit pretty will too. I know Mike Mussina in spite of being in the AL his whole career could hit pretty well, he loved hitting he took BP with position players and he could switch hit, I recall watching him play a few interleague games and saw him hit some doubles and knock in runs.

depends what level of baseball your playing at.

It’s just my thought but…

Basically, in the beginning, there is no difference between the guy that plays outfield and the pitcher. When you’re capable to hit very powerful it doesn’t say you can’t pitch etc.

The one thing that I do notice is that pitchers (and their staff) tend to give more attention to the throwing then hitting while other players DO give attention to hitting. This means that most pitchers just practice to little to swing the bat.

For example…
I’ve been playing third base for basically all my life, just because I was good at it. While playing third base I also practiced my hitting quite often which has resulted in a powerful 120 yrd swing. Since 5 years I’ve been replacing the former pitcher (one of the first dutch pitchers to got scouted to the USA, Sjoerd Hoogervorst) and got focused on pitching etc.
I could already hit quite well (last season: 0.689 avg, 123 RBI’s, 3 HRs “we haven’t always got proper wall’s” <_<) and by maintaining this and focus on the pitching I’m now a quite good hitting pitcher.
It all comes down on your training and talent.
Can you hit the ball quite well and did you give enough attention to hitting? You CAN be a great hitting pitcher…
Did you give more (or only) attention to the pitching (cause that was more important)? You probably have a hard time hitting…

practice, practice, practice…

Very true…

However, consideration should be give to nature of the investment into the pitching ranks (rotation). This doesn’t necessarily pertain to amateur baseball, but professionally it’s kind of different.

And I’m in total agreement with …It’s unfortunate that in the American League the advent of the designated hitter (booooo) … on the other hand, if I saw one of my pitchers reaching for a bat, the first thing out of my mouth would be …“and where to do think your going scooter?”

Investing a lot of time,(not to mention money) - grooming, training, staff upon staff of trainers and physical therapists, a bench full of speciality talent unlike any other on the club … and no wonder pitchers are treated like investments… THEY ARE! Get decked or even beaned, turn an ankle on the base bath, get slap’d upside the head with a glove tag … I don’t think so!!! Not with one of my guys!!

So, is a pitcher’s value metered on the scale from 1 to 10 better suited to the mound or the batter’s box … defensive or offensive. Is it better to leave a pitcher on the base path, hitter after hitter, or in the dugout before his next appearance? Does he risk sliding for that close one like everyone else … or go standing up? Substitute the pitcher on the base path … does the rules of baseball have an impact?

Like I said in the beginning…" And where do you think your going scooter?"

Coach B.