Pitchers helmets for pitching?

I’ve been reading a little about pitching helmets and how some leagues are considering making pitchers wear protective helmets… now that’s not right! What do you think? :shock:

Why would pitchers need helmets when they have a perfectly good glove :wink:

I wouldn’t want to be the first dork on the mound with that sorta thing…could lead to becoming a serial killer or something…make you become an interior decorator …next “spikes” will have to be 'gel-coated or some such bizaar nonsense…Dear Lord…spare us all from the morons who “know better”. Amen!

No. enough said…

One person gets hurt in a freak accident and all of the sudden it’s “Change the bats, give him a helmet, make sure he has his sippy cup” unfortunately accidents happen but my hell this isn’t little league soccer, it’s freakin baseball.

That sounds like another overreaction to a problem, but there’s a couple things goin’ on that should be considered. The first is, what’s the issue? Is it that there are too many pitchers getting head injuries? If that’s the case, whoever’s making the argument would get more people on his/her side by defining what the danger limit is, and showing proof that its been exceeded. FI, if the acceptable limit is 1 head injury per 1,000 batters faced and its currently at 2 per 1,000, clearly its at a point where something needs to be done. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any data to support something like that anywhere I’ve heard of.

Another consideration is, what level are we talking about? The reason that’s in issue is, as everyone knows, the SUPER HOT bats are pretty much a thing of the past on the big field as of next spring, with the coming in of the BBCOR standard. But if the issue is in levels where there won’t be a BBCOR standard, even there, most organizations have outlawed the SUPER HOT composites, so even though there will be some bats that will out-perform wood, its never gonna be what it was 3 years ago, and there’s an increasing amount of data to back that up as more organizations implement BBCOR.

So in the end, what’s the problem? As I said, if the problem is defined and there’s at least some proof to back up the claim that the danger has exceeded reasonable standards, fine. Let’s figger out the problem and take care of it. But if the danger is like it was when people were swooning all over the place about how dangerous the bats were, but with no evidence to support the claim other than a relatively few anecdotal claims, its just another overreaction by reactionaries, and they need to stop and take a deep breath.

I’ve been seeing some at the travel tournaments we play. They don’t look bad…seems a little odd though.

At one of our last games our pitcher (good player) got drilled by a line drive right in the chest, and I mean drilled. He’s a tough kid and he went right down, tried to get up and make the play but fell down again…pretty scarey. All the games we’ve played/watched and that was a first.

Some of these kids at 12U are as big as me (6’ 3’) or damn close. Given they’re 50’ from the pitcher I wouldn’t blame anyone for wearing the helmet.

why not just give them wood bats like we do up here in Canada, sure balls still get smashed but its softer than a metal bat and makes it harder to hit perfectly to get that ball to go.
i wouldnt wear the helmet cause it probably wont be as comfortable as a cap, and… i dont wanna look like a dork lmaoo

On the weekend my eldest son took a glancing blow from a liner on the mound to the old grey matter, for which he got a knot and a bruise…a kid in Tampa took one on the chest…they weren’t able to revive him. This was in 1990…helmets won’t cover the chest cavity…they didn’t have “superhot composites” back then. The year before that a kid died at third base from what was later determined to be a lightning strike…it’s tragic, it’s rare and over reaction is never the answer.

I’m not saying they should, nor will I be putting one on the kid. Only that I won’t fault another for doing so.

As I said, the difference between some of these kids skill and size wise at 11/12/13 can be pretty large. Combine that will small fields and hot bats and things can go wrong.

I have seen some t-ball leagues and coach pitch leagues (6-8yr olds) where helmets were required for the kids standing near the mound. Kids were wearing batting helmets w/masks. Not really a fan of it. A lot of times those helmets do not fit the player very well and they are flopping all over their heads and blocking their vision.

I guess if a helmet is required it would have to fit pretty snug or it could end up blocking the players vision which is not a good idea obviously.

As mentioned some of these 12 year olds are huge. Pushing 6ft and over 150 lbs. and yet many of them swing -12 drop bats. Does that concern anybody? Just wondering. Maybe it’s an issue, maybe not. I know there is a trade off between bat mass and swing speed (ie. a whiffle ball bat is light so you get bat speed, but can’t hit a baseball very far with it), if anyone wants to weigh in on the physics of that I’d be curious. At what point does an increasingly larger drop become a hindrance to distance/ball exit speed?

Personally, for 11-12, I’d be fine if everyone switched to wood. It may or may not impact safety but it does keep people from being able to “buy” distance. You go to a store, buy a wood bat that fits you and you can either hit the ball a long ways or you can’t.

As for kids getting hit in the chest, Evoshield makes a compression shirt which holds a chest guard. Never seen one in person but if a parent or player is concerned it’s worth checking it out.

We had a kid who was recovering from having his “bird chest” repaired, it was a triangle of kevlar which bascially covered the heart area.

These accidents are honestly 1 in 1000. Now i do feel the ut most sorrow for anyone who has ever died playing baseball.

But think about other sports, such as football, now guys might not be dieing.

But some guys get paralayzed, and some guys can’t walk. Now you tell me whats worst being dead, or not being able to move anything from your neck down.

Sure all sports are bad, freak accidents will happen

You guys are talking about hot bats, i remeber when i was 12 maybe 13 years old. I was watching 2 teams play in the championship game.

Now the kid who was pitching was of decent size for the age of 13, but the kid at the plate was maybe 6’2-6’4. Guy was a complete monster, he lined the ball so fast, smacked the pitcher in the nose, broke his nose on the spot.

My dad and I had to show the kid and his family, where the nearest hosptial was, due to the fact we were hosting that championship weekend.

Anyways accidents will happen.

Accidents are apart of life. Unless they are life threatening, i’d say screw it, don’t worry about it

A broken nose will heal.

[quote=“FranDaMan”]why not just give them wood bats like we do up here in Canada, sure balls still get smashed but its softer than a metal bat and makes it harder to hit perfectly to get that ball to go.
i wouldnt wear the helmet cause it probably wont be as comfortable as a cap, and… i dont wanna look like a dork lmaoo[/quote]

Almost all the play on the big fields has gone or will go next season to BBCOR. For those that don’t know, that standard is set up to be basically wood, so there’s really nothing to be gained by going to wood, at least from the standpoint of performance.

Barry,

You’re correct, accidents are a part of life, but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t be concerned about them. I keep saying the same thing though, and the proponents of all the safety goggles, facemasks, chest protectors, and the hate mongers of non-wood bats have never come up with an answer that can even be discussed intelligently.

WHAT IS THE LIMIT BETWEEN DANGER AND UNACCEPTABLE DANGER?

Is it 1 head injury per 1,000 balls put in play or something else? Personally, I don’t even care if its Aunt Tilly frightened for nephew Bobby and its 1 per 1,000,000! I’d just like it defined. Then once its defined comes the real test. I don’t want to hear 3rd or 4th hand stories about what someone heard. I want to see real data about X number of head injuries in League Y per Z balls put into play. People can’t keep reacting to things that MIGHT happen, without at least some proof indicating there may be a problem.

thats exactly whats up dude.

We need scientific evidence of how many kids are getting hit in the head.

If it was 1 in 10,000 then why not.

Honestly though, you take anything at all, any sport, and kind of fun at all, you look at the fun to the risk of danger involved, and you in no way can guarantee that you will be 100 percent safe, at all

With that being said, i would leave baseball alone. It was smart to give base coaches helmets, but to give pitchers helments, face masks, chest gear, that’s just going to ruin the game.

Agreed though we need scientific evidence.

Like it or not, I really think it’s just a matter of time …

I don’t think the pitching helmets is a good idea at all. Accidents do happen, but I mean come on, a helmet? Whats the percentage of pitchers that actually get hit in the head anyway? probably %.3? Even then, that isn’t always going to be fatal. I really do feel bad for those who have been severly hurt or even killed in those freak accidents, but even if you do all that you possibly can, you cant make the game 100% safe. If you did, then you might as well not play because it wouldn’t be fun.

I really did like the idea of the switch to BBCOR bats. Not because of the pitching injuries though. I do believe that those are still going to happen, and it wont ever change. But I liked the switch because it will take those cheap base hits and home runs away. Batters will have to square up on the ball more and hit it on the ground to get on base. Baseball will become a pitchers game once again. :slight_smile:

Interesting discussion … but just playing devils advocate, if protection is needed for the hitter, why not the pitcher ?

There wouldn’t be rockets back up the box if we didn’t badly miss on location. J/K!! I’m a huge OPPONENT of any type of pitching helmet. I vote no.