Pitcher's diet

I am a 16 year old, 6 feet, 200 lb pitcher. What are some breakfast, lunch, and supper ideas? I want to start eating better. Also, what is a good pre-game meal and how long before a game should I eat it? Let’s say the game begins at 5:30 P.M.

Hi Dhup,

This is a really broad goal.

I can give you equally broad advice like “focus on whole, unprocessed foods in sensible quantities and combinations” or I can give you specific advice geared towards your specific health, body composition, and performance goals.

What are your specific goals?

Cheers dude!

I agree with @tavisbruce… are you looking to gain mass? Can you post your current diet? What does a typical day look like? Have you ever used an app to track your calorie intake?

It’s gotten to the point where some apps are so good at tracking your calories, that it’s dead simple to add mass or lose weight by making a few simple tweaks. The key is being honest with yourself by accurately tracking your calorie intake so you can get a true picture of where you are and what adjustments you should make.

Haha. Well, I eat a lot if that helps. Lets see. I guess I’m aiming to put on muscle mass, but I don’t want to loose too much weight (I don’t think I have to worry about that). I do weight lifting everyday Monday-Friday. I do sprinting usually the day after I pitch or after hitting off the tee. As for my diet, like I said, I eat all throughout the day. Breakfast, lunch, and supper and every meal in between. I eat lots of meat and protein but lately I’ve been hearing that protein takes longer to digest…What I’m looking for is some healthy food options that will keep me energized throughout games and even offdays

If you’re trying to gain some muscle you’re not likely to lose weight – the two don’t really go together unless you’re relatively new to lifting weights, have an appreciable amount of body fat to lose, are in a small caloric deficit, and are eating a ridiculous amount of protein.

It can but it really depends on (1) the type of protein and (2) what you eat it with.

For instance, it could take several hours to fully digest and assimilate the proteins in a chicken breast but the amino acids from a whey isolate protein shake could be in your bloodstream within 90 minutes of you drinking it.

Similarly, a whey protein shake will take longer to digest when it’s consumed with fiber or fat, both of which slow down digestion, compared to when it’s consumed alone.

Athletes have a dramatic eating plan that is so different than non-athletes.

Take baseball for instance. A well thought-out training table is as numerous as it is varied. Even to go one step further, since baseball is a four (4) season sport, basically, the diet plan(s) selected by a ball player has to be tailored to those seasons. Why? Because the nutritional and energy demands are like night and day - season to season.

For example, during the off-season compared to the post season involves very different demands to satisfy a rollercoaster of intensity. And so goes it with the preseason and active prime playing season.

Within those groups of seasons comes the food selections from the start of one’s day to the last intake before rack time. Foods that offer a time release value of energy when needed, yet without the volatility of conflicting with other foods is a complex study in one’s metabolism, food value content and so on. A registered dietitian is worth every penny here and shouldn’t be ignored for the sake of saving a buck.

Here’s a good example of what I’m taking about:
At one time I can remember hearing that steak and eggs for breakfast was a solid way to prepare for a day on the field. So, I remember countless guys cutting into a hunk of meat, four eggs sunny side up, two pieces of toast, a tall glass of juice, a cup of Joe and off they went, expecting to benefit from that breakfast three to four hours later. Now I’m not a nutritionist nor am I qualified to go point-to-point with a diet plan for anybody. But I can say this, everyone is different with respect to what their body needs and why. So different is that … those… demands that considering the time release values of energy, the nutritional balance of vitamins and minerals, along with food mix complimenting other food intakes, requires a real hard look into a fundamental foundation of nutritional needs then build from there.

I’ve state on this web site that I’m not big on dietary supplements. All to often I’ve seen them be a substitute for the discipline of sound dietary planning. In my opinion, everything you need to build a healthy body, sustain your energy and performance levels, is provided for you right at the grocery store. Nutritional supplements that have a contents that you can’t even pronounce, much less understand, is a risky business, not to mention expensive.

There are two topics that I believe that you should understand prior to going into a self-designed diet & nutrition program. The first is the Benefits of Vitamins and Minerals and the second is the importance of enzymes.

The Importance of Enzymes in the Diet

Enzymes are necessary for digestion and allowing the body to absorb nutrition
from the foods it takes in. So, those food that are rich in enzymes are fruits and
vegetables, in their natural state. Cooking eliminates active enzymes.

Try to incorporate foods with enzymes in their natural state with other foods as
a meal. For example:
-salads : lettuce, sliced cucumbers, radishes, celery bits, beets, onions, olives
-side dish: cottage cheese, pickles, olives, celery sticks with cream cheese
-desert yogurt, oatmeal cookies, grapes, pineapple slices/chunks, watermelon

Snacks
Snack time is a great opportunity to train the apatite of the body to want health foods
and at the same time, indulge in enzyme rich foods. Some examples are:
dates, figs, watermelon, apples, oranges, crackers with cheese slices, grapes, celery
sticks with cream cheese, carrots, peanut butter and crackers, just to name a few.

Summary
Athletes eat constantly. They do not stuff themselves - but rather each small portions of
many different kinds of foods. This allows an athlete to tailor their intake to meet a specific
goal, for a purpose. This methods of eating allows the athlete to keep the digestive process
constantly active, thus - peaks and valleys in hunger are not longer reasons for over eating
and suppressing the want for variety in the diet mix.

BENEFITS OF VITAMINS AND MINERALS (source: nutrimart.com)
Vitamin A: Healthy skin, lungs, prevents infections, supports immune system
Vitamin B1 (thiamin): Energy metabolism, effects enzymes that influence muscles, heart
Vitamin B2:(riboflavin) Energy metabolism, effects enzymes that influence muscles, heart
Vitamin B3:(niacin) Energy production in cells, maintain nervous system, digestive system
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) Influences normal growth and development
Vitamin B6:(pyridoxine) Break down of protein, healthy red blood cells, immune system
Vitamin B7: (biotin) Break down of protein and Carbohydrates, hormone production
Vitamin B9: (folic acid) Maintain DNA, important production of red blood cells
Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) Growth and development, helps with use of folic acid and carbs.
Vitamin C:(ascorbic acid) Protects immune system deficiencies
Vitamin D: Helps absorb calcium and bone structures
Vitamin E: Helps respiratory and circulation health
Vitamin K: Blood clotting, absorption of calcium
Calcium: Strengthens bone development and alertness.
Chromium: Reduces body fat, improves muscle tone
Copper: Growth, iron utilization, energy production, heart rhythm, thyroid, wound healing
Iodine: Necessary for the production of thyroid hormones which are necessary for metabolism.
*Iron:*Iron is a trace mineral that is essential for our health. Forming a part of the red pigment
called hemoglobin in the blood, it gives blood the dark red color and helps transport oxygen to
our cells. Apart from that, iron is also important for muscle protein and traces of it can be found
in liver, spleen, bone marrow and in our muscles.
Magnesium: Absorption of calcium, formation of bones and teeth
Manganese: Predominantly stored in the bones, liver, kidney, and pancreas. It aids in the
formation of connective tissue, bones, blood-clotting factors, and sex hormones and plays a role
in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation. Manganese
is also necessary for normal brain and nerve function.
Phosphorous: Required by the body for bone and teeth formation. Calcium alone can’t build
strong bones and tissues. It also allows proper digestion of riboflavin and niacin, aids in
transmission of nerve impulses, helps your kidneys effectively excreting wastes, gives you stable
and plentiful energy, forms the proteins that aid in reproduction. More than half of all bone is
made from phosphate, and small amounts are also used in the body to maintain tissues and fluids.
Selenium: It is essential for many body processes and is present in nearly every cell but
especially in the kidneys, liver, spleen, testes, and pancreas.
Zinc: Is an essential mineral found in every cell. It stimulates the activity of about 100 enzymes,
promotes biochemical reactions, and its many functions helps maintain a healthy

Thanks for the reply. Lots of info and you laid it out great. thanks!