Pitchers and the Bench Press

I thought this was an interesting find, especially for those of you out there that may disagree with pitchers bench pressing.

[quote]
Newton and McEvoy (159) randomly assigned 24 previously untrained male Australian National League baseball players (~19 years) to eight weeks of resistance training, ballistic medicine ball throwing, or normal baseball throwing (control group). The resistance-training group performed 3 x 8-10 RM wk 1-4 and 3 x 6-8 RM wk 5-8 in the barbell bench press and pullover exercises. They were instructed to perform the lifts using what the authors describe as relatively slow, controlled movements. The medicine-ball group performed three sets of eight repetitions wk 1-4 and three sets of ten repetitions wk 5-8 of maximal effort, explosive chest press and overhead throws with a 3 kg medicine ball. Both experimental groups trained 2x/wk and all the groups participated in normal baseball practice 2x/wk. The medicine-ball group significantly increased 6 RM free-weight bench press (8.9 %), but it was not significantly greater than the control group (3.4 %, n.s.). The resistance-training group significantly increased bench press strength (22.8 %), which was significantly greater than the medicine-ball group and the control group. The resistance-training group was the only group to increase maximal throwing velocity (4.1 %). Newton and McEvoy (159) concluded that conventional free-weight resistance training significantly improved strength and throwing velocity more than the group that trained[/quote]

Newton RU, McEvoy KP. Baseball throwing velocity: a comparison of medicine ball training and weight training. J Strength Conditioning Res 1994;8:198-203.

I saw it a few months back, and it was impossible to find again but I happened to come across it not actually looking for it, lol.