Pitchers and Long Sleeves

Ok, since I was a youngster all the dads that volunteered their time would always preach to me " pitchers must wear long sleeves ". Through high school I did exactly that, whether it was 45 or 95 … and of course put the jacket (and BenGay !) over my arm in between innings. Once I began my cup of coffee in pro ball, I decided to bag the sleeves…and loved it. So last night, my 14 year old son asks me “Dad, it’s 80 out today so tell me again why do I need to wear sleeves ?” And here I am wondering, if it’s ok for him to be outside shooting hoops in shorts and a tee shirt, why do I bundle him up to go to the yard? Help me gang…I have a feeling “because I told you so” isn’t going to play much longer!!

well wearing long sleeves that are tight for example under armor tends to keep your should in check. meaning when you wear a loose shirt and play your shoulder is vunurable to an injury. but with under armor it keeps the whole arm in tact. and long sleeves keep your arm loose especially if you pratice in 40 degree temperatures.

My pitching coach at Valparaiso University made all pitchers wear sleaves all the time, with no exceptions. Although I did dot agree with alot of his teachings, I agree with his view on wearing sleaves. I make my players wear them because in Northern baseball, (Indiana is where i opreate) a 75 degree spring afternoon can abruptly change into a 40 degree early evening. Sleaves also help prevent arm stiffness that may occur on windy days even if the temp. is somewhat favorable. Anybody out there agree or disagree with this view regarding the use of sleaves???

I think wearing sleeves is the smart thing to do if the weather isn’t warm enough to help you get warm enough.

I’m from Great Britain and nowhere is ever really warm enough to not wear sleeves so i wind up wearing them most of the time.

I live in vancouver and wont throw without sleeves even when the tempature gets to 90F

When you say wear sleeves all the time. Do you just mean when you play baseball or in your everyday life?

whenever my team and I were doing pre-game warm-ups
thats how we could identify a pitcher
and i guess if he pitches with sleeves, then it would keep everything tight so that he could stay warmed up

I like the medium sleeve under shirt look that many players seem to sport nowadays. It doesn’t come down to your wrists, but it is noticably longer than the short jersey sleeves. Typically comes down to the elbow or a bit longer.

Yeah those are 3/4 shirts. Meaning they go to 3/4 of your arm. Tim Lincecum also wears sleeves this way and I made a thread about it in baseball equipment but yeah :smiley:

I wear sleeves (tight compression long sleeved shirt) every game…In practice, when i know imma throw a bullpen, then I put them on…if i don’t in practice, I judge it on the weather…

Cold games…cold gear compression mock neck

hot games…normal compression without the mock neck…this still will keep you comfortable…

I’ve read in numerous studies/sources that compression helps reduce fatigue and allows athletes to maintain optimal performance for longer durations during pitching, running, sprinting, swimming, volleyball, etc. Olympic athletes wear compression everything these days!!

I always pitched with sleeves, like UnderArmour, even on those days when it was 90+ degrees. I got so used to it pitching in colder weather (playing in the Upper Midwest and Northeast) and eventually loved the way it felt on my arm in all temps and situations. (Might have been a little psychological/superstitious, too!)

I’d say it can be personal preference above 65 degrees, but I’m not sure why a pitcher wouldn’t want to wear sleeves in anything colder than that – or all the time!?! :slight_smile:

I think it’s complete and utter bull.

I wore sleeves when it was cold, that’s it. People really wear sleeves in 90 degrees? really?! And you think the compression is going to help you from fatigue?? or keep the joint intact?? what?? If anything, sleeves is going to make you sweat more and how is that going to help with fatigue?

[quote=“Hammer”]I think it’s complete and utter bull.

[/quote]

C’mon Hammer! Lighten up :slight_smile:

Here’s a study. Not the one I was looking for, but it highlights all the things I was talking about.

http://www.antibodywear.com/bodyguard/bodyguard-performance-tests.asp

They make long sleeve compression shirts for hot weather…it is the same as the cut off sleeves…except with sleeves…

I used to wear sleeves in all weather but it was more a mental thing for me than anything.

Now i go 3/4 sleeves in any temperature.

[quote=“Steven Ellis”][quote=“Hammer”]I think it’s complete and utter bull.

[/quote]

C’mon Hammer! Lighten up :-)[/quote]

haha, sorry Steven!

Wearing long sleeves or a jacket can help a pitcher keep his arm warm.
A pitcher’s arm needs to be kept warm
so that the muscle fibers are loose.

[quote=“Hammer”]I think it’s complete and utter bull.

I wore sleeves when it was cold, that’s it. People really wear sleeves in 90 degrees? really?! And you think the compression is going to help you from fatigue?? or keep the joint intact?? what?? If anything, sleeves is going to make you sweat more and how is that going to help with fatigue?[/quote]
I wore sleeves to up to 80 degrees. People really do wear them into the 90’s and there is nothing wrong with that. I do not know the science behind compression sleeves, or shorts for that matter, but I do know they make me feel good when wearing them. Not to mention that sweat isn’t a factor of fatigue. Sweat only becomes an issue when there is dehydration, then you know that you are in trouble. Drink up and sweat a lot!

For me, I don’t wear sleeves at all when I don’t have too. I think it is a mental thing for me that the compression is somehow hindering me or not but for me its just a comfort thing. I will wear sleeves when the temp is under 50 but then I don’t. I guess I feel like I have more freeer (is that a word? lol) motion when I don’t have them on.