Pitcher starting off in highschool

I’m kind of a late bloomer i guess i really want to get into pitching it honestly seems likee the funnest thing to do, what good habits can i pick up as i’m starting out so i dont have to change them later.

My comments here are based on observations, rather than coaching at that level.

You mentioned that, “seems like the funnest thing to do,”
From my observations, high school ball at any level of competition, is the farthest thing from fun that I’ve seen. Coaches are constantly dealing with all sorts of expectations from every direction, and the “click” crowd in the locker rooms can be a bit too much I’ve heard. Winning and losing are at the extreme ends of the emotion spectrum as is the fallout afterwards. If you can’t hold your own in the center of the infield, you don’t belong there and anyone and everyone will let you know that ASAP.

You mentioned starting out. The rosters of every club that’ll you’ll be trying out for has a "return " group that’s pretty tight knit. These guys have pitched since Little League and that means that you’ll be going up against those with a lot more experience than you have. On the other hand, a lot of clubs that I’ve seen really have no “champs” in their bullpens, so possibly your willingness to “get in there” and tough it out might be a refreshing addition.

So, check to see if the following is you:
1- you’re dependable
2- you’re willing to take criticism
3- you can tolerate hecklers
4- you’re a quick learner
5- you can tolerate 90+ heat without a breeze in sight
6- you can lose and learn at the same time
7- you don’t blame others regardless of what happens
8- YOU’RE DEPENDABLE

I’m sure others will chime in with more experience in this environment than I do, but for someone with little or not experience dealing with pitching and the high school environment, the items that I listed above are great starting points to consider before diving in the deep end.

A friend of mine met me at a local dinner yesterday and told me that his son’s high school coach saw this posting and suggested one more thing that’s more important than anything else.

That addition was - PATIENCE.

He said that his son’s high school coach remarked that year after year, so many good talented youngsters enter his program. But those just coming in, lack the understanding that others who came before, only have three or four years to play, and they’ve earned a place on the lineup. Making the team does not guarantee a certain amount of playing time. Unfortunate as this may be, it’s just the nature of the beast. High school ball isn’t always about the best guys play, all the time. Sometimes others are given a chance, on a metered basis it may seem, while others sit. His son is in that situation now as a second year player. I’ve personally watched the kid and he’s very good. I mean, worth carding and following. But, others play a considerable more time than him, for whatever reason, or reasons.
High school coaches literally survive in a world of petty politics, patronage and a limited resources. It’s not something I would choose as a lifestyle. Add to all this, long hours, little or not support, a field of counterparts who thrive on ego trips, and a health sprinkling of control freaks, does little to entice others into the labor market. But on the other hand, it is what it is.
To make a long story short - ddinduy, you’re going to see a slice of life that only gets worse as you get older. Granted, you can sidestep this kind of thing, but for only so long. Just take everything in stride, learn from the experience and prepare yourself for the next round. Also, I would strongly suggest talking to your parent or parents when certain situations come up that seem unusual, unfair, and stuff like that. Using their life experiences can really help your understanding of life’s experiences later on.