Pitcher of the Week: Tim Lincecum

After talking with Steven about this, we have decided to start a new thing around here. Every week, either myself or Steven will post a pitching video from PitchingClips.com and give a brief summary of their mechanics, what we think they did right/wrong, etc. Then, the forum community is open to discuss the mechanics of this pitcher.

Every week, a new pitcher will be featured and their mechanics will be picked apart by the community.

So for the inaugural Pitcher of the Week, I present to you Tim Lincecum.
http://www.pitchingclips.com/players/tim_lincecum.htm

Tim Lincecum is a remarkable athlete. He is one of the hardest throwers in the league, yet is very small for a major league pitcher.

If there is one word to describe Lincecum, it is “efficient”. He gets more out of his body than anyone else I have ever seen pitch.

Lately on the forum, a popular word has been intent. Lincecum has a ton of this. When he decides to go towards the plate, he GOES.

Part of his delivery that is crucial is to keep his left side aimed toward the target for as long as possible. Opening up too soon will lose all the torque he has built up.

Some people say his mechanics are unorthodox, but their is no denying their efficiency. After a game, Tim does not ice. His shoulder does not tire like most pitchers. He says that ice is for pain, and he feels no pain after he throws.

So I ask, what do YOU think of Lincecum’s mechanics? Do you see any flaws? How long do you think he can hold up to the wear and tear of the major leagues?

Discuss…

He Doesnt Ice???
IS that normal?

Lincecum should hold up. He has a very efficient motion and he repeats it very well. We should all take a hint from Lincecum and do what works for us. The reason he doesn’t ice is because he has never felt any soreness or a single twinge in his arm. He in my mind is the anti-thesis of a great pitcher. Most pitchers ice as soon as they are done throwing, they have a strict warmup routine and diet. Lincecum has none of that and he has dominated the past 2 years.

Here is a great article on Tim that I read a few months ago in SI. Lots of info on him that you might not have known. He has used the same pitching mechanics for his entire pitching career. Not many people can say that.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/07/01/lincecum0707/

i guess thats why they call him the freak right?
lol

Did he get drafted out of high school though?

Tim = beast

Perfection is an opinion, but i’d say hes pretty darn close to it.

[quote=“tiki510”]Tim = beast

Perfection is an opinion, but i’d say hes pretty darn close to it.[/quote]

Yes, he is VERY VERY efficient, although by many people’s standards, he has unconventional mechanics. Ah well, whatever works!

[quote=“king.navarro34”]
Did he get drafted out of high school though?[/quote]

[quote=“king.navarro34”][quote=“king.navarro34”]
Did he get drafted out of high school though?[/quote][/quote]

Nope, he did not get drafted. Even though he was throwing mid-upper 90’s in high school, the scouts thought he was too small and his mechanics would hurt him in the future.

Wow, scouts are sometimes dumb aren’t they?
Thats incredible.

[quote=“king.navarro34”]Wow, scouts are sometimes dumb aren’t they?
Thats incredible.[/quote]
Tell me about it!

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/06/12/pitcher-analysis-tim-lincecum/

i remember checking out this website awhile back. really got into detail about his mechs

and from this page they also had this list of the players chosen before Timmy, shows how some scouts were still a little worried about his frame haha

1.Royals: Luke Hochevar. The Boras holdout doesn’t even come close.

2.Rockies: Gregory Reynolds. A control pitcher who strikes out few and is very hittable. Pass.

3.Rays: Evan Longoria. Can’t complain here.

4.Pirates: Brad Lincoln. Derailed by arm surgery, he’s having a decent year at Low-A. At age 23.

5.Mariners: Brandon Morrow. Ignoring that they totally mishandled him (and continue to do so), he is not as good as Lincecum, though he is having a good year.

6.Tigers: Andrew Miller. Terrible mechanics, poor performance.

7.Dodgers: Clayton Kershaw. This might be the only pitcher that could outperform Lincecum, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

8.Reds: Drew Stubbs. .786 OPS in A+ at age 23? No thanks.

9.Orioles: William Rowell. Hahahhahahahahaha.

[quote=“AugiePitcher”][quote=“king.navarro34”][quote=“king.navarro34”]
Did he get drafted out of high school though?[/quote][/quote]

Nope, he did not get drafted. Even though he was throwing mid-upper 90’s in high school, the scouts thought he was too small and his mechanics would hurt him in the future.[/quote]

He was drafted by the Cubs in 2003, never signed.

akthar should have been a pitcher instead of bowler… he throws not bowl.

Became NL Cy Young winner!

A nice vid explaining his mechanics