Pitcher cut from high school team and made it to the Bigs

I have heard stories about people getting cut from their high school teams and made it to the major leagues.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any specific names and where these people probably went after high school? (JC D3 D1?)

Just curious. Thanks!

[quote=“ZBoyle”]I have heard stories about people getting cut from their high school teams and made it to the major leagues.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any specific names and where these people probably went after high school? (JC D3 D1?)

Just curious. Thanks![/quote]Orel Hershiser, one of my favorite players, was cut from the team the first two years in high school, also got cut his freshman year in college. He played 20 seasons and had a great fastball and slider.

[quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“ZBoyle”]I have heard stories about people getting cut from their high school teams and made it to the major leagues.

Just curious. Thanks![/quote]Orel Hershiser, one of my favorite players, was cut from the team the first two years in high school, also got cut his freshman year in college. He played 20 seasons and had a great fastball and slider.[/quote]

One of the best, IMO. I loved watching him pitch for the Indians when he was at the tail end of his career. He had a fierce competitive mentality, and I really like him as a commentator.

[quote=“kyleb”][quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“ZBoyle”]I have heard stories about people getting cut from their high school teams and made it to the major leagues.

Just curious. Thanks![/quote]Orel Hershiser, one of my favorite players, was cut from the team the first two years in high school, also got cut his freshman year in college. He played 20 seasons and had a great fastball and slider.[/quote]

One of the best, IMO. I loved watching him pitch for the Indians when he was at the tail end of his career. He had a fierce competitive mentality, and I really like him as a commentator.[/quote]
In high school, I sat the bench on varsity after pitching well in the state tournament the year before. My coaches both compared me to him, and called me a bull dog. He actually wrote a book, don’t remember the name of it. I read it and it helped me get out of feeling in the dumps. He was a great ballplayer and even better man.

That’s saying a lot, because he was one hell of a ballplayer :slight_smile:

But I definitely agree.

FYI, Orel’s son is currently playing for House at USC.

From Ron Wolforth.

Take Kevin Cravey.

Kevin Cravey was released from Texas A& M as a junior. He came to us at the Ranch the last 2 weeks in April.

21 days of exceptionally hard work later Kevin hit 99.8 mph on a turn and burn and sat 92-93 on the mound with an exceptional breaking ball (an improvement of 8mph in 21 days). Strommy desperately wanted the Cardinals to sign him but while he was trying to get the front office to pay attention…Kevin signed with the Florida Marlins.

So let me get this straight. Kevin isn’t good enough to pitch for the Aggies but he IS good enough to pitch for the Marlins? What’s up with that?

Cavney hasn’t made it to the majors but he did show some promise in single A. Not bad for a kid cut from A and M.

But Slew, you can’t teach velocity! Don’t you know that! :slight_smile:

EDIT: WOW at those stats. 42 innings, 38 strikeouts is nice. But FOUR WALKS and NO HOME RUNS? Very, very impressive.

According to scouting reports, this man was throwing 89 during high school. So, on the mound, hes added 4 mph.