Pitch Usage

Hey guys,

I am a 14 year old pitcher who pitches on a regular basis in travel ball tournaments. I throw 5 different types of pitches in a game.

1. Fastball:50 Out of 100 Pitches
  2. Curveball: 20 Out of 100
  3. Eephus: 15 Out of 100
  4. Change-Up: 10 Out of 100
  5. Splitter: 5 Out of 100

I know that a eephus is not a pitch that you should not really want to develop but think of it as a dropping curveball in my arsenal.

So out of these 5 pitches which should i focus on developing the most after the fastball and curveball and which pitches should i add to the pitches im already throwing. Thanks

Develop your FB and CHANGE, master both and then worry about throwing a breaking ball.

Too many times you’ll see kids with a decent hook that get thrown a lot because the HS batter’s can’t hit it, but then once HS is done so are their Baseball careers because they feel in love with the hook and didn’t focus enough on the velocity difference between a good Fastball and solid change.

Judging by your post with the break down of your pitches in a game it sounds like you could develop into one of those throwers I just mentioned. Also keep in mind that guys in the MLB who are starters have a hard time mastering and being effective with 4 pitches. Guys in College are lucky if they have 3. Take the time to develop your FB and CU and you’ll benefit more in the long run.

Thanks man, for a change-up should i use the regular grip or the circle change grip that i have been using before

Play around with different grips and see what works best for you. The change truly is a feel pitch, you have to get a feel for what will work best for you consistently.

Honest question;
Why at 14 do you think that you need to throw so many different pitches to be successful?
Is the number of pitches you throw your idea or someone elses?

[quote=“Turn 22”]Honest question;

Why at 14 do you think that you need to throw so many different pitches to be successful?

Is the number of pitches you throw your idea or someone elses?[/quote]

I was thinking much the same thing myself, and thinking back a half century when I was catching. Of course it was a different era, but catchers called pitches back then, and I honestly don’t remember calling more than 3 different pitches for anyone, even though I caught some pretty outstanding guys. With that thought in mind, I can hardly imagine the way most teams call pitches now-a-days, with coaches sending in pitches and locations, that many coaches would be able to juggle 5 different pitches. So what I’m guessing is, he’s not getting the signs for all those pitches. Of course I may be wrong as I often am. :wink:

It might be time to drop some of your least effective pitches. Just keep the hitters off balance by changing speeds, and locations.

When you get through the order and with hitters who have seen all your best pitches, you can mix in something new to keep them guessing, or you could start them with a different pitch this time through and see what happens.

Perhaps if a pitch isn’t working for you on a given day, you substitute for one of your other pitches.

For those of us who can’t throw 10 different pitches effectively, if you only have 2-3 pitches, don’t abandon any of them, even if you can’t throw it for a strike.

I had an incredible pitching coach, an active major-league pitcher who threw at least twenty-four and probably more and who shared a considerable amount with me. He told me that when I was warming up prior to starting a game I should throw all the pitches I had to see how they were working, and if I found that one of them wasn’t behaving itself—wasn’t doing what I wanted it to do—I should put it on the shelf for that game and go to the other stuff I had that was working, and we could address the problem in a bullpen session a game or two later. I had built up an extensive repertoire around a slider I had nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” and a very good knuckle-curve, and I did have some seven or eight pitches of different speeds to work with—not to mention a beautiful and lethal move called the crossfire, which I used almost all the time, and I recall how the batters used to scream blue murder and a whole lexicon of class-A felonies because they couldn’t hit any of them for sour apples! And of course, there was the control and command I had of all of them, and I had so much fun making the opposition look very, very stupid.
Being an honest-to-gosh sidearmer made it all the easier for me. :slight_smile: 8)