Pitch Speed Ranges for 10, 11, 12's

I would trust a stalker that was being used the way it is intended.

This is the problem with both coaches and PARENTS. Just because Little Johnny is a 10 yr old phenom, they start extropolating out what he will be when High School rolls around. They don’t understand physical development (or the lack of) and they don’t understand they dangers of overthrowing at younger ages.

How is it intended? They have two guns and compare the readings.

Both of these comments elicit the same response from me…there are many types of guns out there…most give readings but not accurate readings. To get proper readings (I believe from what I have been told) you also need to use them in a tight set of parameters, the understanding that I have is the only true readings come from directly behind the catcher at a certain angle otherwise the readings can be considerably off. I would also highly doubt that a facility has two guns (Stalkers), that is quite an investment for one…so why two? The cheapest running about $599 and going up to $1150 or more.

Which facility are you at in KC, I am also in KC and my son was gunned at BTL on Saturday for the 82 mph he is a sophomore and the only higher numbers were turned in by a senior at 86. They were using one gun (improperly placed above and to the right of the catcher…those numbers on a Stalker Sport 2 gun were 75-76 on the fastball. On the Stalker Pro 2 set directly behind the catcher he was 82-83. So as you see the numbers can be considerably off depending on placement of the gun and possibly the gun too.

I went tonight and they use Jugs. I don’t know how accurate or inaccurate they are considered to be.

Both of these comments elicit the same response from me…there are many types of guns out there…most give readings but not accurate readings. To get proper readings (I believe from what I have been told) you also need to use them in a tight set of parameters, the understanding that I have is the only true readings come from directly behind the catcher at a certain angle otherwise the readings can be considerably off. I would also highly doubt that a facility has two guns (Stalkers), that is quite an investment for one…so why two? The cheapest running about $599 and going up to $1150 or more.

Which facility are you at in KC, I am also in KC and my son was gunned at BTL on Saturday for the 82 mph he is a sophomore and the only higher numbers were turned in by a senior at 86. They were using one gun (improperly placed above and to the right of the catcher…those numbers on a Stalker Sport 2 gun were 75-76 on the fastball. On the Stalker Pro 2 set directly behind the catcher he was 82-83. So as you see the numbers can be considerably off depending on placement of the gun and possibly the gun too.[/quote]

Regal Athletic. The kids train there (have done about six core sessions) but do not play on the Regal house teams.

I saw the kids messing around after the workouts and they were hitting 55-57 repeatedly on a single Jugs gun.

Stalker has shown that (when used properly) their guns are accurate. Jugs seems to be second from what people say. Never used one though.

[quote=“West2East”][quote=“gdmiller5”]I know location and mechanics are more important, but I’d also like an unbiased round of opinions on pitching speed ranges for 10, 11 and 12 YO’s so I can monitor growth from a different perspective (beyond location and mechanics) in addition to the more important things.

My son is a league age 10 for 2012 and hitting about 55 so far in February. Suspecting that will go up a tad as the season goes on and the arm gets stronger. Is this an appropriate speed for him? What should his mark be for 11 and 12 based on where he’s at now?

Again, I know speed is not the end all be all for youth. I just want to track his speed now, so when it is important on the big diamond, I’ll have a good sense of where he’s at and where he came from.

Thanks![/quote]

55 is excellent for 10U.

That being said, I wouldn’t get too caught up with velocity in youth ball. Consider two 18 year old seniors, both are 6’ and each throwing 85 MPH. When they were 12U age, pitcher A stood 5’10" and threw 75. Everybody was in awe of his talent. Pitcher B also was an All-Star at 12U, but standing only 5’-0", he topped out at 58 MPH, and was always in Pitcher A’s shadow. Now as HS Seniors, they’re equals. Pitcher A topped out when he was 14. Pitcher B is still growing and colleges project him to be a 90+ type pitcher. Which player do you think the college chose with their last scholarship?[/quote]

Curious how the season worked out for your son?

And these were nine year olds pitching from a mound? and on one team?

Possible, but it sounds like an inaccurate gun.

And these were nine year olds pitching from a mound? and on one team?

Possible, but it sounds like an inaccurate gun.[/quote]

I don’t know if it’s accurate or not but I do know these are two of the hardest throwers in the area. They just happen to be on the same team.

The other nine and ten year olds were clocked in the upper 40’s.

By the way, just wanted to make it clear that I am not related to either kid so this isn’t some overbearing dad overstating his son’s accomplishments.

[quote=“John Adams”][quote=“West2East”]

55 is excellent for 10U.

That being said, I wouldn’t get too caught up with velocity in youth ball. Consider two 18 year old seniors, both are 6’ and each throwing 85 MPH. When they were 12U age, pitcher A stood 5’10" and threw 75. Everybody was in awe of his talent. Pitcher B also was an All-Star at 12U, but standing only 5’-0", he topped out at 58 MPH, and was always in Pitcher A’s shadow. Now as HS Seniors, they’re equals. Pitcher A topped out when he was 14. Pitcher B is still growing and colleges project him to be a 90+ type pitcher. Which player do you think the college chose with their last scholarship?[/quote]

Curious how the season worked out for your son?[/quote]

Hypothetical situation. My son is the 12U at 5’10" throwing 75. Who knows. He could top out next year and be done as a pitcher. There’s no guarantee that he’ll be throwing 95 just because he throws 75 at 12. As for how his season turned out, he played MS Fall Ball, throwing a mix of sliders and fastballs, and dominated MS players. They’re too slow to get around on the fastball, and not skilled enough to hit the slider.

Basketball season has started, so he won’t pick up a baseball until February. I expect he’ll be throwing even harder next spring, but we have to wait and see. He’s currently 5’11" and 171 pounds and still maturing.

The thing is it depends on how big the kid is. If a kid is 12 and throwing 65 but he’s 5 foot 6 130 pounds I wouldn’t expect anything less. If a 5 foot 85 pounder throws 60-65 that’s impressive. It all has to do more with what stage of puberty their in and how big they are.

Once again, 4 year old post!!!

My son has just started playing baseball a year and a half ago and to say the least he has natural talent for it.He broke a record at his first game hitting a out park HR at age 8,he has hit 7 out park HR’s since(275+ ) He is now 10 years old as of July 2016 and he is pitching at 65-70mph… he can also throw the ball from outfield all the way to the catcher EASY…He weighs 160 lbs and is 5’6…he is a big boy lol… thick!! He is way faster then people think and that boy will steal some bases lol(makes me nervous lol) He has had ALOT of people compliment him and even coaches from different counties ask if he will play for them and even is willing to drive the 40 min here and back to get him each day as well as fill my gas tank etc lol…it seems a bit much considering he is just 10 but we were recently stopped by a man at a travel ball tournament who said he was a scout and has a team and he is interested in my son…told me to keep him in baseball because it’s amazing at how good he is.why all the hype for a 10 year old? His coach won’t let him pitch bcuz he is afraid he will hurt the catcher etc (he has knocked the gloves off several) but his accuracy isn’t great(mind u,he just started playing in 3/2015)…how can he fix that??? I’m a single mom trying to help him the best I can…(since starting in 2015 he has played regular season,all stars and travel ball last year and regular,all stars ,fall Ball and travel ball competitive league this year)

The hype is bc it sounds like you have an early maturer on your hands.

A 10 year old who is 4’11" is in the 95th percentile of height. At 10, 5’6" does not even register on the CDC Growth Chart (see below). I have my doubts about his height, as well as his claimed velocity.

Those numbers are hard to believe, but we used to play against a 10YO that was over 6ft- I know bc I’m 6’4" and stood beside him many times. His parents are pretty average in height. He could throw hard and hit hard, but he was very ungainly. Guess what, three years later he’s only grown about an inch. We have a young 14YO in our church who’s 6-6. His dad is 6-8 and his mom is 5-10. He’s always been tall but has taken a recent growth spurt. Biology is a funny thing at these ages. My son has always been above the 95th percentile until recently. He’s 13 and many of those around him have hit their growth spurt. He’s still above 90% and height projectors suggest he will finish out above 6-6. But with kids, some hit it early and some hit it later. Many (most) early maturers are just flashes in pan.

I’m not saying it’s impossible. I just doubt it, unless it can be verified. I’ve read and seen too many online claims here from parents about their kids’ off-the-chart velocity, but somehow they never seem to have a video available. Kinda like all those Bigfoot sightings, where they always just happen to have left the camera at home or in the car. :smirk:

I don’t have any Big Foot film, but I do have rolls of black panther pics!

A rule of thumb I came across once is "5 x Age = High Velocit

Southpaw saw this once.

This is the best gauge I’ve seen for people wondering about age and speed. Age times 5 mph plus control probably means your kid is a awesome pitcher.