Pitch Selection

I am an 18 year old left-handed college freshman who throws low to mid 80s and I’m trying out for my DIII team. I threw a four-seam, curve, change, slider, and forkball my senior year in high school, and I had decent accuracy with all of them. Now, I’m thinking about changing my selection to something that could retire college hitters and I’ve been wondering what 4 or 5 pitches I should throw out of the 8 I can put in the zone that would make me a more efficient pitcher in college.

4-seam, 2-seam, sinker, curve, change, slider, splitter, forkball.

Whether or not I should make a change, any input is appreciated.

Im sure you already know this but it isnt about how many pitches you can throw but how many you can throw effectively. What i would do is just take any input from hitters or catchers or coaches that may see you throw. Obviously you want to use the pitches you can consistantly throw for strikes and can also keep hitters off balance. What i would do is try to imagine your facing the middle of a tough lineup ( 3, 4, 5). How do you think you would pitch those hitters. How would you pitch those guys in a 2-2 count. Also what are usually the pitches you use when their are runners on base, meaning the pitches you really trust for a crucial situation. I think by doing this and having people watch you, you will be able to narrow it down to a few pitches that you can really focus in on.

Eight pitches, eh? How many can you throw to a six-inch by six-inch target at least 75-80% of the time?

Pick two of your fastballs, one of your breaking pitches, and your changeup, and concentrate on commanding those four pitches. Work on not only accuracy but getting “run” (movement) on your fastballs and changeup.

When you are hitting your target with all four pitches at least 75% of the time, with some movement, then MAYBE extend your repertoire to another pitch.

Thanks Joe you did a better job than i did.

Thanks for the tips, guys. The six-by-six target idea is a great way to find accuracy and movement.