Pitch selection question

Alright, due to 2nd injury of my baseball career i am out of my freshman year baseball team so, I’m working on develpoing a new pitch…
I already throw a 4-seam, circle change, curveball, and i was working on the cutter but didn’t get much move on it so i’m gonna wait until i’m 16 or 17 and try again or a slider… But to the point i was thinking of using a sinker or spiltter but are (here is the question) them pitchers too similar to a change up? I keep trying pitchers but nothing works (already tried cutter, spike curve, knuckle, screwball, 2 seam) And i would like at least one more pitch for my sophmore tryouts. Thanks y’all

I would go for the sinker…

It isn’t as slow as a change-up and is a damn nasty pitch! Esspecially if you learn to throw it low and outside :wink:
The splitter is more like a change-up and well… you can try to develop one but my focus would be on the sinker.

A little tip for ya, no matter what pitch you try it won’t be good all of the sudden you have to work on it for a good long time (especially the knuckleball which you mentioned).

As stated above my post, the sinker is your best bet. Those things give hitters fits at the plate. Will get you a lot of groundouts and k’s.

3 pitches is enough… look at a lot of the MLB draftees most have 3 pitches fast change curve… and some even have only 2, fast slider… Just work on the 3 pitches you have and use them all and that will keep the hitters off balance.

Alright, Thanks y’all

And there are a few pitchers who do very nicely with one pitch. Joe Page, the Yankee lefthander who probably ushered in the era of the closer, had one pitch—an absolutely overpowering fast ball which may have exceeded 100 miles an hour. Now there’s Mariano Rivera, who throws one pitch—a cutter that can reach 98 miles an hour when he’s really on.
Now, you’re talking about possibly adding an extra pitch; you’re just not sure which one. Let’s see now—you did mention a splitter, which is actually a faster-moving cousin of the fork ball and therefore belongs in the fastball category. You also mentioned that when you reach the age of 16 or 17 you might think about the slider, and that might be a good choice—but if you decide on that, you should learn that pitch from a professional, perhaps an active or former major leaguer who has a good one and can instruct you in the correct way to throw it. And you can never have too many changeups!—Babe Ruth, who knew a little something about pitching :), once said that a good change will cause batters more grief than just about anything else. Ed Lopat, who was my pitching coach for almost four years, once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup—it all has to do with the grip. So—you have a whole closetful to choose from.
Pustulio has it right. It takes time and patience, and a lot of work, to get a new pitch down cold. Even Mariano Rivera, who discovered the cutter quite by accident during a game of catch in 1997, took the time to work it up—you don’t just stumble on a new pitch and get it right away. I remember when I learned the slider at age 16—I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, but I knew this was not going to be an overnight thing, and so I spent some nine months working on that pitch. Finally, in August of 1952, I felt comfortable enough with it to use it in a game, and I did so in a relief appearance in which I started out by striking out the first two batters I faced. Two subsequent appearances as a starter gave me the confirmation I wanted about this new pitch, and so it became my strikeout pitch.
So, have fun, and whatever you do, work on it and get it down cold, and then use it in games. 8)

Zita, two questions.
were you ever pro or something similar, because you know quite a bit, and two do you know of any pitching coaches in Milwaukee,WI. My high school coach doesn’t know much about pitching, and when i look on this web site it doesn’t show anthing…
Thanks alot

I never played pro ball, but I was close to it. I played a high level sandlot ball which might have been called semipro except nobody got paid. Our manager was a former semipro infielder with good baseball savvy, and we played major league rules all the way, which pleased me very much. As to your second question—I don’t know anyone in Milwaukee, but I have a suggestion which might help. Why not get in touch with the Milwaukee Brewers and ask them if they can recommend a good pitching coach? I’m sure someone on the team knows something.