Pitch Count

Starting last week, I’m going to be pitching off a mound every Sunday for quite awhile. Last week, I threw around 50-55 pitches, and today I threw probably 70-80 pitches. What should my pitch count be? For background info, I’m 16, I got baseball conditioning from Monday to Thursday, and I play catch before conditioning.

If you are throwing day to day then 40-50 pitches is good because your arm doesn’t need any rest between days. But if you throw more you may need to take a day or two off. I am 17 here. I’ll post a chart off a website: http://fybl.org/ Scroll down to find

League Age Pitches allowed per day
17-18 105
13-16 95
11-12 85
10 and under 75

The rest periods required during the 2007 regular season are listed below.

Pitchers league ages 7 through 16 must adhere to the following rest requirements:

• If a player pitches 61 or more pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 41 - 60 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 21 - 40 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar day of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 1-20 pitches in a day, no calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.

Pitchers league age 17-18 must adhere to the following rest requirements:

• If a player pitches 76 or more pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 51 - 75 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 26 - 50 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar day of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 1-25 pitches in a day, no calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.

Hope this helps!!

You might want to tone it down a bit … going up to 80 pitches in one week after a layoff is a recipe for tendinitis. Take your time, stay closer to 30-40 pitches, 2-4 times per week, not at full speed, for a couple weeks. Build up slowly … you have plenty of time before spring.