Pitch Count Comments

what do you guys think of pitch count to be honest. Personally i think they are stupid as hell. The reason why i say this is not because i want to throw 3 games in a row. Trust me i do want everyones arm to be healthy. But come on whats the point.

When i play i usually take on the best team on a 3 day game weekend. I will usually throw 100 pitches first game. Then next 2 games i will back catch. And seriously my arm hurts a little bit but not really my arm is very strong because of long toss. And it is unfair how kids who are experienced and have healthy arms to be limited to 100 pitches.

I would rather have it be innings. Be able to throw 10 innings. Because honestly if you are rolling like doing really good and have lets say a bad inning then you are done for the weekend. its so stupid.
Whats your opinion on the issue.

in my park there isnt a pitch count rule. Its 9 innings a week, 4 innings a day and 4 innings each game. Its not that bad. But the rule sucks when you have games 3 times a week and have a game sunday. leaving the star pitcher to only pitch probably 2 or three games out of the 4.

[quote=“baseballkid111”]what do you guys think of pitch count to be honest. Personally i think they are stupid as hell. The reason why i say this is not because i want to throw 3 games in a row. Trust me i do want everyones arm to be healthy. But come on whats the point.

When i play i usually take on the best team on a 3 day game weekend. I will usually throw 100 pitches first game. Then next 2 games i will back catch. And seriously my arm hurts a little bit but not really my arm is very strong because of long toss. And it is unfair how kids who are experienced and have healthy arms to be limited to 100 pitches.

I would rather have it be innings. Be able to throw 10 innings. Because honestly if you are rolling like doing really good and have lets say a bad inning then you are done for the weekend. its so stupid.
Whats your opinion on the issue.[/quote]

You’ll see in the majors rookie pitchers can come up, and when they hit the 200IP mark you can visibly notice a change…guys look tired, and they are, velocity drops off, sometimes mechanics change and that can mean injuries.

Now needless to say you won’t be pitching 200 innings in a season but it’s the same idea, as much as your arm will feel invincible it will catch up with you, and unfortunately at a young age a lot of guys don’t have the guts to say hey coach my arm is sore, or hey I think I hurt my arm.

This is exactly why these rules are in place, it may ruin you pitching a perfect game, or back to back games but if you’re that much ahead of people in this league I’m sure you’ll move on to bigger and better things where you can use that arm of yours.

ya true. I plan to go on to play college and keep on training even more.

My hardest pitch this year was 87mph and i averaged 83-85mph. But ya i don’t see why they can’t go innings where i am from. maybe like 10 innings in total for a week. That wouldn’t be to many i think. If you are doing well maybe 150 pitches in total. But ya 100 pitches is not really 100 pitches i think. The reason is this.

Ex: Some kid who only has a fastball throws 100 pitches. ya his arm is going to kill.
But another kid who throws like 5 different pitches his arm probaly isn’t going to hurt as much.
But ya i just don’t like knowing that i have to make every damn pitch count. Sometimes i like to waste a few pitches just to keep the batter offset.
I do respect the people though who made pitch count. Its going to save many arms and make kids play at higher levels.

I would think they don’t go by innings because of pitchers that just cant get the early ground balls and balls in play that many good pitchers want. They go deep to every hitter and might throw 18-20 pitches in a 1-2-3 inning and 25-35 in an inning that the team might score 1-2 on him. Definately if you are one that can 10-15 pitches an inning you might get a big shorted, just think of it as pitches you save for your college career.

Last note…a guy that pitches over 100 pitches gets tired and when you get tired you change your mechanics and guess what comes next, ya get hurt.

What’s stupid is getting injured because you didn’t take care of your arm.

You’re using yourself as a template for all others on the subject. In other words what’s good for you and players like you, should fit neatly into a go-or-no-go situation for everyone else. Athletic performance doesn’t work that way, nor will it ever.

The Pitch Count is only one tool of many, that can be used for managing a player. Unfortunately, at the amateur level, both player and coach are just that - amateurs. Hence, the actions by both can cause this subject to get a bad rap. In any event, the pitch count is a multi-purpose tool that, when used properly, can serve you and and coach(s) very well.

Here are just some of the qualities associated with professionaly managed Pitch Counts:

1.) A Pitch Count System is just that, a system. It (pitch count) is never a static number that stays constant over the career of a pitcher. In fact, this system is a sliding scale that takes into account the pitcher’s pitch inventory -type of pitches that are his/her strong suit, how the pitcher is feeling prior to, and during, an appearance, and so forth.
2.) A coach will use this system with benchmarks, inning per inning, as a monitoring measure, but not as a stand alone indicator. Other factors that are sister measures will be placed side-by-side to help the coach with an on going evaluation during a game.
3.) Tolerance and endurance indicators support the pitch count system, and in return support or subordinate a pitcher’s historical record.
4.) Post game statistics are nothing without a good Pitch Count System, inning per inning. This is very important and detailed for pitchers that hold a specific role, like starters and closers.
5.) Pitchers coming off of an extended rest period because of injuries or being unavailable for a long period of time can have a pitch count, inning per inning, that can project their dependability for the future. Of course these pitchers must be used properly during their re-entry, goes without saying.

The above are just a small sample of why pitching coaches use pitch counts within a Pitch Count System.

So, think of it this way - when professional pitching coach address pitch counts as an important tool for monitoring and guarding the money invested in the men under contract, doesn’t it make sense to bring that kind of planning down to the amateur level? I do. Perhaps not as elaborate, but still with the same postive purpose.

Coach B.

I[color=blue][i] would think they don’t go by innings because of pitchers that just cant get the early ground balls and balls in play that many good pitchers want. They go deep to every hitter and might throw 18-20 pitches in a 1-2-3 inning and 25-35 in an inning that the team might score 1-2 on him. Definately if you are one that can 10-15 pitches an inning you might get a big shorted, just think of it as pitches you save for your college career.

Last note…a guy that pitches over 100 pitches gets tired and when you get tired you change your mechanics and guess what comes next, ya get hurt.[/i][/color]

buwhite…

Very perceptive… Did you get that from your pitching coach, or did you rationalize that yourself?

Coach B.

My pitching coach works with me on how i pitch and what I can do to stay under his 80 pitch limit for a weekend, sometimes i get to 90 and even 100 one weekend but i really didn’t realize it… that post was actually written by both me and my dad while we were chatting about how I can keep under my max. i love this site becuase we talk about loads of ways that i can get better.

i think they are the dumbest thing ever. fortusntely i was economical. i threw a 63 pitch 1 hit game once