Pitch charting software

Hi guys,

I’m a college coach trying to become a bit more paperless in my data collection. Currently I find myself buried in pitch charts for location, pitch type, velo, result, and so on. For the passed week or so I’ve been on the hunt for a software program that I can have our manager use on a laptop in our press box.

It’s common place to see guys charting on a laptop in the low minors and from my brief looks at these programs they look to have everything I want. Does anyone have any ideas on what this software might be or an example of another program that may fit the bill. I’ve looked into edge, iscore, and gamechanger and non seem to be the perfect solution.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Hopefully Coach Baker will chime in.

Our high school team uses iscore. It’s fine. All of them have their limitations. We use an iPad. Q

Progress, indeed. Back in the day, many pitching coaches—the Yankees’ Jim Turner was one—used to keep notebooks with pages and pages charts of all the guys on the pitching staff. Ed Lopat preferred to use his brain.

thanks for the thoughts guys. I’ll give iscore a shot again. shockingly enough I’ve found our guys tend to be drawn towards any information I can put on a screen. guess it’s the wave of the future.

Any kind of analysis sheet(s) gives up, and supports, specific questions that are long standing because of what you have to work with – or not. Your resources in human, funding, depth in associates- paid/volunteers, boosters and the level of compitition that you have to contend with will ALL dictate a look-see in monitoring devices, manual and otherwise.

So, let’s say you’re a mechanic and you want to purchase a fuel metering device for the cars that role into your shop. If you have nothing by customers with cars that have a carburetor, then there’d be little logic in getting a wizbang device for measuring fuel injection systems.

What I’m getting at is this-
-Your pitching staff is made up of turnover every so many years
-Each year you’ll want a pitching staff that can hold there own with who they have to face
-So you put together so many pitchers with varying pitch inventories and longevity.
-Within that inventory and logevity are those that require so many days rest, so many that are veterans, so many rookies on a learning curve, so many that are an emotional rollercoaster, prima donnas, and so forth.
-At the college level, I would assume that your pitching staff is a known quanity, understood with little surprises, out-of-the-blue stuff and so forth, year after year. If not – your recruiting program is not a program but a crap shoot. I’d sit down with your pitching coach and let him tell you what he wants to see.

So based on the above, draw up a very simple “what you know already” and go from there. The more intimate you are with the staff that you’re working with the better you are to digest the before and after. Also, your pitching staff should reflect your total game plan. Your pitching coach and his pitchers should be an intimate part of that game plan – not a stand alone, their pitch by pitch/pitcher by pitcher expectations should be planned for in advance, and they should be expected to make that plan work.

Don’t over complicate your analysis – it could be self defeating and only fuel your detractors.

I can help you beyond this initial response if you’d like.

I’d also like to add that if you are the pitching coach, I’d like to add my perspectives on planning for the use and tweaking of a pitching staff. Before I do, I’d like to qualify the comments that follow.

-Those pitchers that I had were provided for me without much input put from me, more often than not. I was under a “deal with it” season, season after season. So my techniques were more of do with what I had more than what I wanted.-

First off I’d watch every pitcher closely and form an opion of what I had to work with, without qualifying said pitcher with stats, history, and so forth. It was that opinion and assumptions that I would impress actual experiences with. I would use a kind of adversarial agruments to forceably change my opions and assumptions.

Second, I would use tracking specifics for each pitcher based on that pitcher’s usefullness and temperment as the season progressed. For example, I’d track the actual game experiences for each pitcher with the following just for an example:
-games at home Vs away
-cold Vs hot weather
-high humidity Vs dry
-pitching out of shadows to a batter Vs pitching into shadows to a batter
-small ball pitchers/power/command
-left-handed Vs right-handed
-top of the batting order command guys Vs middle and bottom of the order -
command guys
-days rest charting per pitcher based on his pitch inventory/home Vs away
personal respsonsiblity of dependibility, health record, mood tendencies.

Now at this pont you’re probably wondering why I’m not plugging in ERA’s and such. Well, I do- but, those stats are the results of mostly those tendencies that I mentioned above. And as I stated earlier, stats and analysis can get to be a point-counterpoint debate that usually end up asking why, that the topics above can be a barometer for many way BEFORE the stats become stats.

So, the foundation that I used was to familiarize myself with each tool in my tool box, then match that tool at the beginning of the season with what was know about the competition that we were about to face, then use or not use each tool in my toolbox to fit the expectations projected. The key to all this is that some pitchers have a usefulness that deserves certain analysis, while other pitchers deserves other kinds of analysis. Notice I used the word “deserves”. If a pitcher is going to be used properly, he “deserves” credit when credit is do. On the other hand, when a pitcher “deserves” advice to help him and his club, constructive observations other stats have a purpose.
The best example that I can give for that last sentence is a closer who deals in nothing but gas, who comes in during the last inning with bases loaded and the pitcher who he relieved has been hammered during the last three innings. That pitcher who he relieved threw nothing but gas also. Now our relieved is facing the top of the order, ready and primed for dealing with gas. There is a high precentage here that our guy is gonna get hammer too. If he is used repeatedly like this, and only a stat approach is used to evaluate our closer, his usefulness as a tool on the pitching staff is not very advantageous.

Here’s a analysis sheet for many things. Primarily though I’d use this sheet to support my decisions to slot a pitcher or not. Basically, I knew what I was dealing with, pitcher by pitcher. What I didn’t know was who or why my decisions were going to be challenged. The bottom line in my own defense was - it didn’t matter who won or lost, what did matter was who got the blame for whatever.

So, I had someone design a spreadsheet program like Lotus 123 to fit the bill. I did this so it would be user friendly to someone that didn’t particularly like computers in the first place - me. I’d print a blank sheet out prior to a game, then plug in the figures at the bottom of the sheet as a pitcher faced the apposing batting order. Strikes and balls, base on balls, etc., were recorded then the spreadsheet took things from there, then brought those numbers/considerations up to the appropriate heading/column/row. A summary developed for conclusions and historical tracking - ONLY if I felt that it would be necessary to challenge my decision process, and for the wheeling and dealing concerning those pitchers that were on the business end in the near future.

I assume your requirements are slightly different, but the spreadsheet below is simple and straight forward without much fanfare.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/referance-aid_zps94de195d.jpg