pickoffs

I’m trying to work on my pickoffs.
I’m a right-handed pitcher.

Does anyone know much about pickoffs?
For a right-hander,
how do you throw a pick-off to second base or first base?
The only instructional videos on pickoffs that I can find are of left-handed pickoffs to first base.
Does anybody know where I could find videos on how to throw right-handed pickoffs?

CardsWin, I know exactly where you’re coming from. I was a righthander. And the reason all the videos you have seen are of lefthanders is that it’s much easier for them to make such a move—all they have to do is take one step and throw over to first, whereas we righthanders have to practically make a u-turn in order to make a pickoff attempt.
When my pitching coach—the incredible Ed Lopat—asked me how I was doing with holding runners on base I had to tell him I had a problem, in large part because I was a righthander. The next Sunday morning we met outside Yankee Stadium, he drew a pitcher’s rubber and a first-base bag with chalk, pulled on a first-baseman’s mitt (he had started out as a first baseman), and worked with me for a good couple of hours on this. We had imaginary runners, and we started off with something easy, like a bump on a log as he called it—a runner who wasn’t going anywhere. And we practiced with all kinds of base runners—the one who would go if the hit-and-run was on, the definite threat to steal, any and all kinds. He told me—and this is important—that when I was pitching with a runner or runners on base to be sure to use the slide-step, which I was doing all the time anyway; when you use a slide-step the runner can’t get a good jump on you. He instructed me in the use of the snap throw, which can be used to nab a runner who has taken one step too far off the bag, and he told me to be sure someone was covering the base; he said he had seen too many instances of a pitcher attempting the pickoff move only to find that no one was covering first and the ball sailed into right field! My being righthanded turned out not to be an inconvenience because I was able to move fast when I had to turn around to make the throw.
Your best bet is to get together with a pitcher who can show you a few things you can do to work up a decent pickoff move, and it doesn’t make any difference whether he’s a southpaw or a righthander—anyone can learn to do it. :slight_smile:

Picks to 1st:
Just step back, don’t throw, show the ball, keep the runner close.
Step back and weak throw to 1st base.
Quick step back and hard throw to 1st base.
Jump turn and hard throw, this is the one you wanna try and get the out with. You must throw with the jump turn, you don’t have to throw on the others.

Picks to 2nd:
Come to the post, from the top of the post fall toward 2nd base with your left foot, only throw if you have a shot like some daylight between the runner and the shortstop.
Spin to the left throwing just as you get about 3/4/ around.
Inside move, use your right foot to resemble a post move then move your right foot back toward 2nd.

Picks to 3rd:
I don’t feel like you should pick to 3rd.

Bu, the actual jump throw could very easily be considered a balk.

The right foot must move first. I don’t suggest using the step behind the rubber move. Use a jab stab towards first base rotating your foot close to 90 degree to help open the hips. Follow that with a very small step with the left foot opening it also.

I have a few videos of RHP pick-off moves to 1B:

Hope some of these might help.

Only time I have seen a jump move called a balk is when the pitcher doesn’t throw to first, even in the bigs. I have even seen some discussion a couple of years ago where a righty is even trying to move the left foot directly at 1st base, kinda a backwards lefty move, I think it’s gonna get called a balk but as I remember the conversation really got heated.

When you pick to 1st do you need to step off behind the rubber or ca you just pick it up when you do the jump move.

Here’s another RHP pick-off move to 1B, taken from a high school game:

This move has not been called a balk in our experience.

Here is a nice video pretty much what I think most consider a jump move to 1st base without stepping back.