Pickoffs from the Windup

The comment on OBR rule 8.01(a) clearly states that you can make a pickoff attempt from the windup.

I have never seen this. Does anyone have a video example they can share? Think my son could use it at the youth level (Cal Ripken 11U) to get an unexpected out in a big moment.

But… I feel almost as certain the umps will call a balk, since it is so uncommon and most youth umps still think you must disengage before throwing to a base anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks…

It looks like you are formulating a tumult for slim benefit. A move can be made from the windup, it entails stepping off, done proper it is rarely called, I’ve seen kids picked from it. At 11u if you work a run game supression plan you’ll likely yield more outs…and less controversy. Remember…no matter how much experience you have or “new” ideas you come up with…travel and LL have been around for years and it’s been contemplated, used and discarded many times over the years…

Mike Mussina had one of the best pickoff moves in the game, and he could do it from the full windup, from the stretch, standing on his head. And he was righthanded. Andy Pettitte also had one of the best pickoff moves in the game, and he too could do it from the full windup, from the stretch, standing on his head. And he was a southpaw. I used to olove to watch those two and see how they did it, and neither of them ever was called for a balk. 8)

pettitte has 11 balks mussina has 1 in his first year