Pickoffs - Fake 3rd to 1st

Just wondering if anyone else has seen or done this.

1st/3rd, RHP. Pitcher does a fake to 3rd, knowing the runner at 1st is stealing on 1st movement. At the same time, have the 2nd baseman creep in toward the baseline between 1st and 2nd.

After the pitcher steps off and spins around, he fires to the 2nd baseman in the baseline catching the runner at 1st early. And enabling him to make a shorter throw home in the event runner at 3rd breaks.

Ideas, thoughts, improvements, etc.?

-G

Never seen this done, probably because either A it’s to confusing, B it takes to much time, and C most players in highschool players can’t pull this kind of move off.

I presume the P steps toward 3rd and makes a realistic fake to freeze the R there, then pivot- throws to the 2nd baseman. The throw could go to the SS at 2nd base for the rundown with he and the 2nd baseman. In addition the 3rd baseman should stand in foul territory behind the R and call Tag or Home for the play at 2nd or the play at home.
Gary, this and other 1st-3rd plays like this were published in the Athletic Journal by me in the late 50’s. Of course, when practiced they worked and kept opponents alert and created fun we don’t see much of now.

I use this move some. It works sometimes and others it doesn’t but most time the teams are to smart. Maybe it would work in JV more?

[quote=“garyalarson”]Just wondering if anyone else has seen or done this.

1st/3rd, RHP. Pitcher does a fake to 3rd, knowing the runner at 1st is stealing on 1st movement. At the same time, have the 2nd baseman creep in toward the baseline between 1st and 2nd.

After the pitcher steps off and spins around, he fires to the 2nd baseman in the baseline catching the runner at 1st early. And enabling him to make a shorter throw home in the event runner at 3rd breaks.

Ideas, thoughts, improvements, etc.?

-G[/quote]
How would you know the runner at 1B is stealing on first movement? It seems you would have to have seen a trend of going on first movement AND be tipped off that the runner is going in that situation. I’d expect most base runners to be familiar with the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move and to wait for the pitcher to commit to the plate before taking off knowing that they’ve got the threat of the runner at 3B working in their favor.

It’s a no risk move…at a minimum showing it helps reduce the agressiveness of the runner on 1B, which should be the goal of any pick move. Also, 2 out, 3-2 count … same goes for reverse pivot to 2B with runners on 1st & 2nd. Take advantage of poor baserunning and try to steal an out … sometimes beats the alternative !

Oh yea i see this move a lot. I almost got thrown out if the pitcher made a good throw this summer i didnt run on first movement i’m a good baserunner but i watched him go to third and i stayed where i was waiting for him to throw to the third baseman and i got caught sleeping with my lead pitcher tunred and gunned it over the 1st basemans head. I think it’s a good move that works often. In JV it works a lot b/c most catchers have bad throws to second so they let that guy steal anyways so they just steal first pitch 1st and 3rd

Hey Gary:
Yea, Ive seen the pick-off move your talking about,and it does work and can be used with different signals & variations to catch(or try tocatch) a runner.
Here’s one I used pretty effectively to keep the opposing team runners off balance and cautious.
BASE RUNNERS IN 1st & 3rd-- taking good leads.
The pitcher goes to the “set” position, looks at the base runners on 3rd and 1st, and wheels and runs directly at the runner leading off of 1st base, faking like he’s going to throw to the ball to the 1st or 2nd baseman.
Naturally the runner on 3rd is going to get a huge lead & try for home.
the 2nd BASEMAN watch’s the runner at 3rd, and if he starts running for home he loudly tells the pitcher “HE’S GOING!!” At this time the pitcher just wheels and throws to the catcher who tags the baserunner for the out or get’s the runner caught in a run-down. Naturally if a run-down happens the pitcher has to back up home and the short-stop backs up 3rd.
Most of the times we got one or two outs a game, and most times your giving 2nd base to the runner on 1st. But, hey - it’s fun for the team.
Bill

Coach Bill… On the original ‘‘wheel’’ from the stretch I presume this is after a step back off the rubber. This is on my list of favorites; how about a few more of the fun plays that work when the opponent at all amateur levels gets lazy.

Hey P’fessa:
To be honest with you, I don’t know that many ‘trick’ moves.
I played in men’s leagues from1954 thru 1966,stated coaching kids LL & Babe Ruth from 68 on and that’s where I ran into a few trick plays.
You know, the pitchers ‘hidden ball trick’(make sure the pitcher stay’s off the mound) then the move from 3rd to 1st. and the one I posted. Yea,in mine you run at the runner while your foot is behind the rubber .
I read your post and it sounded like back in the 50’s you used quite a few trick plays or know more of them than I do. I’d sure have fun reading more of them if you got time to post them,
How about the rest of you guys out there too. I’m never too old to learn new tricks to have fun with and pass on to kids in my area.
Bill :smiley: