Pickoff Mechanics

I am a 14 year old pitcher in my Babe Ruth league, and I am a fairly good pitcher. The only problem is, that when a runner gets on base, I don’t have any pickoff move. So it’s really easy for him to steal off of me. They get massive leads knowing I can’t throw back. Does anyone have any pictures for me to follow? (I’m right handed).

Thanks!

[quote=“starhawk”]I am a 14 year old pitcher in my Babe Ruth league, and I am a fairly good pitcher. The only problem is, that when a runner gets on base, I don’t have any pickoff move. So it’s really easy for him to steal off of me. They get massive leads knowing I can’t throw back. Does anyone have any pictures for me to follow? (I’m right handed).

Thanks![/quote]

Alrighty, please fellas no wise cracks about the lovely room decor.

Here’s a video I just made in around 15 minutes, as pickoffs I feel pickoffs are extremely important to have in your arsenal.

I showed three moves, each from three different sides, the first is a basic pivot, the next is a spin move from taking your signs (it takes practice to prevent throwing it away, but is incredibly sneaky and effective), the third is an attempt at a move I am not that good at myself. Basically you pivot while your starting to come set (the runners look for the set position before they get ready, and you’ll catch people not paying attention)

Remember, short art throws, notice I take my arm to my ear.
And quick short steps, I got rather long, but I wasn’t at a rubber nor trying to big perfect.

Practice them, you’ll get quick, and eliminate wild throws. I throw several pickoffs per game and didn’t throw any away this year. (Had like 6 pickoffs in 10 appearances)

It’s 13mb, so give it a little bit to load, trimming it really didn’t take much size off, so I just left it at full size:

If you dont have a good pickoff at first use a slow slow spin move just to get it back. Show the runner your not afraid to pick over. You dont have to try and “pick him off” just try and get him back let him know whos the boss.

Make it easy; have a signal from the C if the runner has a big lead. {If you noticed the batter/runner when he ran to first and he was slow, don’t worry about him.} The C may place his right hand over the right knee pad as a signal. Don’t look at the runner: when you are ready step back off the rubber, keep the ball in your hand or glove, quickly turn left toward first and fake a throw. if he dives back do it a couple more times and he will stay closer. If the base coach is asleep and you make a great fake throw the first baseman can fake chasing a wild throw and yell GO. YOU may run and tag the runner or get him caught in a rundown.

HAVE FUN