Pick-offs from the windup

MLB and all junior league rules describe the Windup and Set positions. And they all specifically state that from a Windup position a pitcher may throw to a base to attempt to pick off a runner.

But… as we know… everyone teaches that when there are runners on base, the pitcher must go to the set/stretch position in order to be able to pick off.

And… every ump I’ve ever seen will call a balk on a pitcher who begins a windup and then does not complete the motion by delivering a pitch to the plate.

SO… how is it ever possible to us a windup position to pick off a runner at first base? As I am imagining it, I can see that it would be a much better way to do it, especially for a right hander, than any other way.

I’d love for someone to please describe who one could execute a pick off to first base without being called for a balk.

all the best
pbp

1st move for a rhp is to step back with his non pivot (right) foot rather than his left. trouble is, while legal and you may catch a runner napping…it’s just as easy to catch an ump napping and get called for a balk.

If memory serves me, it isn’t even necessary to go to either the windup or the stretch. I have seen plenty of pitchers who are just standing on the rubber with the ball in their hands, who suddenly step off the mound and make a snap throw to first base, and the runner—who perhaps took too big a lead—is caught flatfooted and tagged out before he can get back to the bag. I used to do that myself on the rare occasions when I had a runner on first. That’s not a balk. That’s just a very good pickoff move—if you’ve ever seen Andy Pettitte, or before that Whitey Ford, those two had the best such moves I’d ever seen, and they did not get called for a balk. The key is to step off the mound. :wink:

good stuff… and esp. Zita! Clay and I have been missing you!!! I’m traveling your way soon and wanted to meet you. Clay’s in travel ball now and although he’s the only one on his team to pitch a scoreless inning (5 games so far, Clay’s gotten to pitch twice, both times had 1 inning scoreless), he’s the rookie and, so, not getting alot of chances. Don’t know exactly why that is, but that’s what’s what.

The team will be playing in a tourney in Cooperstown 6/27 - 7/3. Can’t wait!

e-me directly and I can send you some of the latest pics etc!
all the best
tim

Not sure I followed this. Are you saying a RHP could step back with his pivot foot instead of his non-pivot foot (which means he has “stepped off”) and then throw over (or not) in such a way as to make it look like he was entering his normal wind-up delivery?

Not sure I followed this. Are you saying a RHP could step back with his pivot foot instead of his non-pivot foot (which means he has “stepped off”) and then throw over (or not) in such a way as to make it look like he was entering his normal wind-up delivery?[/quote]

No he said step off with your non-pivot foot, which would be your right foot if you are a right handed pitcher

Huh? A RHP’s non-pivot foot is his left foot - not his right foot. I think I know what terprhp was saying but I just wanted to make sure.