pick off move

When trying to pick off a base runner does the foot on the rubber have to come off first or it can come off at the same time ur front leg moves?

asuming your a righty I think it doesn’t matter, as long as you dont lift your striding leg like your going to pitch and pick off

In my leuge you cant leave the base until the ball is at or behind the plate so you cant pick off people

Are a RHP or a LHP? Which base runner are you going after - 1st,2nd,3rd … it makes a big difference. Also, are you playing by ORB, NCAA, Federation, or a local league’s rules? Also, what age group are you?

Coach B.

i am 17 and pitching in the PSAL so can u explain to me how a pick off is done to all three bases? thanks

As far as I know generally they can come off at the same time if you’re a righty going to 1B. 2B you can either lift you left leg and just turn and step off and if you want to turn the other way I believe you have to step behind the rubber with you right foot first and than spin and throw but I’m not 100% on that one. 3B of course you can just lift your left leg and step towards 3B and throw. 3B you have to be careful throwing to though because obviously if u throw it away its a run, you also can’t fake to first unless you step off behind the rubber first. Those are the rules I’ve always followed. If any of this is wrong please correct me. Hope that helps.

I was told by an experienced umpire that when going to 1B you can step towards the base with your striding leg first and throw as long as you dont lift your leg up as if you are going to pitch

I do believe that is correct.

I had a look in the baseball rules

“8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when-”

“© The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base; Requires the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base.”

this is unless the pitcher disengages from the rubber and throws (stepping off the rubber and throwing)

however in section 8.01 (b) it says:

“After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption.”

so there you go as long as you dont start your natural pitching motion and stop to pickoff you should be fine