Persisting Shoulder Pain (Possible bursitis / labrum / impingement)?

Hello people of LetsTalkPitching,

I have had persisting shoulder pain for roughly 7 months now and it is demoralizing. I feel I should be performing at a much higher level than I currently am and that simple thought irritates me beyond belief. I have a pain towards the front of my shoulder before I rotate my arm fully to throw the baseball (after external rotation but before internal rotation). Originally I thought the pain simply came from shoulder tightness so I went to a doctor to have the issue cleared. The first doctor believed I had bursitis and the second doctor thought my shoulder was in well repair but hypermobile and weak. As waiting should have cured the bursitis, and I followed a rigorous rehab routine in an effort to be ready for the upcoming spring season, I have no reason to be unable to perform right now. This whole situation infuriates me beyond belief. As I am unable to play, I am getting a third opinion on my shoulder and considering going into surgery. The thing that confuses me is that my MRI(with contrast) came back negative for a labrum tear. RIght now, I feel the current diagnosis by the third doctor may be a labrum injury or bursitis which would require surgery. I am at a crossroads right now and I feel that I am drowning. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it

Stats:
Height: 6’1
Weight: 145
Baseball Level: Majors (Select Baseball)

Dream,

“I have had persisting shoulder pain for roughly 7 months now and it is demoralizing.”

Did you pitch or bull pen during this rehab timeline?

“I feel I should be performing at a much higher level than I currently am and that simple thought irritates me beyond belief.”

So, this sounds like you continued to pitch while trying to recover?

“I have a pain towards the front of my shoulder before I rotate my arm fully to throw the baseball (after external rotation but before internal rotation).”

Wow, that’s pretty advanced knowledge for a 15YO. The Humerus is the key to eliminating pathomechanics at the shoulder.

“Originally I thought the pain simply came from shoulder tightness so I went to a doctor to have the issue cleared.”

Ask anyone what tightness means? You will hear 100 different answers and all will be guesses.

“The first doctor believed I had bursitis and the second doctor thought my shoulder was in well repair but hypermobile and weak.”

“Hyper mobile” is a clue! Most shoulder pathologies are caused by “miss longitudinal alignment of the Humerus and the acromial line (imaginary line running from shoulder acromial tip to tip) before the rotational acceleration phase starts. A good example of alignment is seen in Grienke, who keeps it in line from the start thru release. It is best to keep it in alignment thru recovery also, that will prevent deceleration injuries at the back of the shoulder. This will take some mechanical adjusting by having you stay taller, rotating 180 degrees and learn voluntary forearm pronation of all pitch types.
This will keep the head of your Humerus centered in it’s Glenoid cavity where it should remain.

“As waiting should have cured the bursitis, and I followed a rigorous rehab routine in an effort to be ready for the upcoming spring season”

Sounds like you did every thing right accept a change in mechanics that caused the issue after enough time.

“ I have no reason to be unable to perform right now.”

Tell that to your pitching coach. Nobody does!

“This whole situation infuriates me beyond belief.”

It would have been advantageous to learn Dr. Mike Marshall’s tenets but he is being rail roaded out of existence by all of the baseball establishment at every level, leaving you no chance of running into it or then useing it. There are many Org’s that use his info partially but then claim it as their own. It’s a marketing problem.

“As I am unable to play, I am getting a third opinion on my shoulder and considering going into surgery.”

Do not do this unless they find something compelling !!!.

“The thing that confuses me is that my MRI(with contrast) came back negative for a labrum tear. “

This is great news and probably means it might be a Biceps tendon tear that inserts at the lip of the Labrum. These take very long to heal but do unless the mechanic that caused it is not changed.

“If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it”

Itis takes time. Shut it down and mitigate it.

“Height: 6’1”

This means nothing of interest.

“Weight: 145”

This means nothing of interest.

“Age: 15 (Sophomore)”

That’s your chronological age? Whats you biological age? Are you advanced, delayed or equated?

This answer will tell you when to elevate training when all the growth centers in your Elbow have solidified at biologically aged 16. if you are delayed 1 year this changes to chronologically 17. Some kids are 2.5 years delayed or advanced.

Have any video? Need to see if you Hyper Horizontally Abduct your Humerus on the way back.

Do not train until you receive your Dr’s release !!