Perfect Game Showcases

Are they worth it? How do they work and about how much does it cost? do you need to get invited? if yes, by who?

you can request an invite. They won’t reject you, they want the money. Hard to say if it’s worth it. I’ve never been to one, but they make you an online profile page with a rating and a scouting report. This page is viewable by college coaches, and i think they have video from your tryout and other features.

I might consider going to one next fall if I’m still looking for colleges and feel I have the stuff to really draw some interest. Look around on their site. Get a feel for what their rating system is like. If you don’t think you could get at least a 7-8 on their rating scale, IMO it might not be worth your 500$+

ben

yeah i’m going to save up and go to one. as soon as i get healthy. i think i have the potential as well.
what did they grade you?
do college coaches and scouts go to those showcases?
how many ppl go to one showcase, about.

You might also consider Top 96 camps, if you live in the northeast. Was very beneficial for me in connecting with coaches and scouts here in Massachusetts/New Hampshire/Maine, etc, back when I was in high school.

Ultimately, however, I ended up at Div. 1 Bradley University of the Missouri Valley Conference, in central Illinois. Was offered a full scholarship site unseen. The coaches never actually saw me pitch, but relied on scouting reports from pro scouts in the St. Louis area, where I was going to high school. While not totally common, it does happen quite a bit; college coaches often rely on scouting reports that circulate about HS players.

Don’t underestimate the importance of high school and summer league ball, like American Legion. I still think they’re waaay better than any pay-to-showcase-you-talent baseball events.

Perfect Game does two different things, Showcases and competitive tourneys, the tourneys are what my son participated in and I’d very much recommend them. We’ve been to 6 tourneys that were directly sponsered and as a rule unless you’re on a nationally known powerhouse the team you are on have to qualify. Going to their website will let you see the various events and the teams that are involved. Some squads even pay to have guys fly in to play…again my son played for a Knoxville Tn. team in the Jupiter Scout combine. It takes an investment in time and money but if you have a chance to play any of the tourneys A)They are as a rule played at outstanding facilities (Jupiter for example is played at the Florida Marlins spring training facility) and B) there were at least 1000 scouts from various levels that attended. We saw teams that had 3 or 4 hi round draft guys.
I guess the bottom line is this, you are going up in either against the best guys under strong scrutiny to succeed, it is worth it to understand where you stack up. Now my son got a direct look by a major D-1 (Actually 2) (He was recommended by Clemson’s then head coach, Coach O’Sullivan who is at Florida now, to Rodney Hennon of Ga. Southern) and would have gotten an offer had his grades met requirements so it can certainly be a great opportunity…just takes money and gumtion. AND GOOD GRADES!!!

I’m going to echo both JD and Steve.

My son attended the Perfectgame NE Underclass Regional Event when he was a sophomore. It cost me big in $$$ and time off plus travel. It was held in western Mass so I got to see the entire length of the New York Thruway.

After warm up…they put you through your paces first on the 60 yard dash, they will evaluate your throwing arm and fielding ability in the infield and outfield depending on what position you register for. You will throw into a screen with a radar evaluator for speed. Your catching skills will be evaluated in game situations as well as pitchers will get two innings or six batters. Hitters will get some batting practice and be scored on their swing, power etc. And each team will play a couple games. Its a long couple days. If you ask my son, probably it was a little too long because he was a pitcher.

Anyway, there were about 150 kids of all sizes, speeds and ability there. You will know when you are finished how you “stack up”. Alot of serious money is spent by parents who really think their kid is “worthy”. And many of them are but I would be very frugal with my money after that first showcase because you will be solicited to attend more. IMO one is enough. If you go, figure out how you are going to stand out. For my son, it was simply his size. Oh yeah…the video stuff IS EXTRA! You will be told it is a necessary recruiting tool and that college coaches rely on video these days. I passed and I don’t think it hurt my kid in the least.

They provided everything I expected of them and I also paid for it. As a result, my son was contacted by some colleges up and down the scale DI to JUCO…but bottom line is it don’t matter how good you are (unless you are a freak bluechip pro prospect) YOU GOTTA HAVE THE GRADES!.

Now, my son was able to get similar exposure simply by travelling to tournaments with his high school and Legion Team. Alot of colleges and a few pro scouts will show up to scan the talent. This can be a less expensive alternative, Think about it, you aren’t paying for all the blitz, hype and website maintenance, etc. that goes with showcases.

And don’t forget about targeting the schools that YOU want to be interested in you. Find out if they are a fit, academics, level, majors, weather, facilities, coaches…etc, Then target their school showcase or go to a college clinic/showcase where alot of schools up and down the scale DI - JUCO attend. Until you take that SAT or ACT you might not really know what level you are looking at for sure. AND BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF! You should have a list of about 20-30 that you reduce to about 5 and then as a Junior you look to get some attention there. You will be surprised how quickly your mind can change about where you want to go to college.

Whatever you decide…remember it’s your journey so enjoy it and don’t stress out over it …ever.

All good points here guys.

Remember, if you want to go play college ball, it’s all about getting exposure. Showcases are another way to do that. One thing that you are guaranteed when going to these, is that you will get looked at. There will be several scouts and several college coaches, and they all are looking for players. I’ve personally seen several different sheets of paper that coaches and scouts use to evaluate players. They have things like the 60 yd. dash time, a section for throwing velocity, pop times for catchers, sharpness on breaking balls, height and weight yada yada yada all the way down the list. But on every list, there was always a seperate section for GRADES. Every single scout and coach had this section on their list.

If you can scrounge up the money, these are definitely worth going to.

I myselft have played in perfect game sponsored tournaments,
It was the National wood bat world series in Marrieta, GA. I played in the 17U and 16U and for both age groups the amount of scouts and exposure that I got was great. And It’s very organized and against high competition. If you have the heart and the goals, and of course the money, I would highly recommend attending one.

It looks as if you have any sort of skill you will be rated quite high on the list on the website. An 8 on the site is throwing 81MPH.

RHP said,

I’m in the camp that thinks this can vary regionally and from player to player. I mean, skill level certainly has something to do with the whole value of exposure as well as the players goals. If you are a borderline prospect, you can and will get invited to a ton of showcases…including multiple Perfectgame Events. After the first couple events I think your profile becomes well known and your cost in relation to return diminishes.

Now if you are fairly well off financially, can carve out the travel time from your schedule and want to use the Perfectgame event to sharpen your skills then the level of competition is there. Do it.

If you are looking for one college that fits your idea of the college baseball experience…I think the college clinic is best return on your dollar. The guys at Perfectgame know talent…absolutely but they also know how to extract the most $$$ from your bank account and they will tell you all the things you want to hear to keep you interested. I agree with RHP though, Perfectgame won’t risk their reputation with high scores on shaky prospects.

If you are a professional prospect…you will get worn out with the events.

[quote=“RHP…”]
Also, I am going to have to disagree with Steven Ellis when he says that he thinks American Legion is “waaaaay” better than any pay-to-play baseball event out there. American Legion does not provide the exposure give to you by a Perfect Game showcase or tournament, or some of the other showcases / tournaments out there. Sure there are some showcases and tournaments that may be better to pass on, but you can’t substitute the exposure given by some events with the minimal exposure one receives when playing on a high profile travel team at hugely scouted events or by attending a well scouted showcase such as the Perfect Game showcase.[/quote]

We’ll have to agree to disagree, then, RHP :slight_smile: I think Dino’s right, though, in that this varies regionally. I will say that six guys on my American Legion baseball team in Alton, Illinois, got drafted or college scholarships during our Senior season. That’s a good rate for any showcase or team.

But even when I played legion ball in Upstate NY my Freshman through Junior years in high school, we always had a handful of pro scouts and about a dozen college coaches following us throughout the season. And on every team, we had at least one guy get drafted and a few guys get scholarships to play at some decent schools, like Univ of Richmond, Missouri State, Illinois State, and Univ of Maine.

So in all four years of legion ball that I played in both the Northeast and the Midwest, I always felt we got lots of good exposure for non-pay teams, especially since for most of us, attending a Perfect Game or related showcase wasn’t an option either financially or logistically.

Perfect Game is the best way to get seen by multiple colleges. Just this past Fall, in the World Wood Bat Championships in Jupiter, FL the first game we had there was at least 100+ MLB/College Scouts in attendance. Another way to get noticed and directly contacted by a college is to attend either their Winter or Summer camps. Plus multiple colleges usually attend these camps. Just went to the UNF one few weeks back and I’ve been getting great feedback. Obviously all of this can add up to a lot of money, but all I can suggest is try finding a showcase team that do these tournaments and that pay for everything (tournament fee’s, hotel, trips to tournaments), thats the only way I’ve been doing it the past 2 or 3 years.

Ah…it might help that you also LIVE in Jupiter, Fla… :bigthink:

[quote=“RHP…”]
All in all, I think this is the main point. You need to figure out what situation you are in. If you are a professional prospect, you will want to get to some of the higher profile events (of if the legion scene is strong in your area, get on that team). However, if you are not D1 or draft material, you might be better off getting to more local showcases. Like Dino said, if you are hoping to get to a specific school, your best bet is to attend their camp. If you don’t know where you stand, I think a Perfect Game showcase may be good for you. You will get a view at some of the best of the best as well as an evaluation from a respected company. This may help you finding schools, but more so, it will help you see where you stand among other players in the area / country.[/quote]

Exactly … this is a very nice summary!

Smoke, I can’t tell you how cool this is…we’ve attended UNF camps for years. I’m wearing my fitted UNF hat this very moment (Given to me by…well coach Rhodes and Shepherd were there together). How did you like it? Did they bring in anyone to talk at this one (I’ve heard Jon Pabelbon and a couple of other pros give little mini lectures at several of Dusty’s camps)?

Fla’s great Dino, no doubt…but props to Smoke…he went about 250 mi. from home to attend that UNF camp.

Yeah JD…you know I’m just a jealous frozen hillybilly… :snowfight:

Jupiter, Fl might as well be on Mars :freezing: :greenmartian:

Yeah it went really well. Threw my bullpen in front of Coach Shepherd. Got to talk to Dusty for a little while while we were warming up and doing PFP’s. It was only a 2 day camp but I only went for 1 day because I had a tryout for my summer team (Team Mizuno of Palm Beach). I didn’t see any pros there maybe that was the 1st day. And JD if you don’t mind me asking what were your son’s SAT/ACT and highschool GPA like?

He qualified SAT wise for Bright Futures I think it was a 980, he also had like 3.1 until mid Sr. year, which was also Bright Futures qualed, but it went down the last half of his Sr. year (His girlfriend was killed in a car wreck and he just couldn’t keep his grade focus…though he still performed at a huge level on the field). If it wasn’t for the help of people like Bob Shepherd, he likely would have had a worse season than he did. Bob and I talked extensively on it (Bob has dealt with this sort of situation nearly every year in his 20 or so coaching seasons) and he worked with Andy for the 2 months going into the season (Jan, Feb.). I will assure you that you got a look by a Minnisota Twins scout (He’s at every UNF clininc) and more than likely at least half of the CC coaches in the state at the clinic. To play at UNF as a freshman you have to score at least a 1000 and carry a 3.0-3.2 GPA, for Fla it’s even more stringent 3.5 and a 1350. We have no regrets though, Bob and Dusty asked Andy for a schedule and they want to watch him through til his Associates when he can transfer to them (Ga. Southern is doing the same thing) and Florida has made noise that they might be interested after he gets his degree. I think he’ll definately get more pitching opportunity as a freshman and sophmore with Indian River (He is stat wise the best pitcher at IRSC now).

Yeah I just took the SAT in December and got a 1080 which is alright and I carry like a 3.2 weighted GPA.