Pedro and Kazmir, both toe tappers

I was watching the various pitching clips and I noticed that Kazmir toe taps his push off foot at end of his delivery in the same way Pedro does. It’s such an unique, violent action on your foot and one hard to imitate, that I was sure Pedro was alone in doing it. But there’s Kazmir.

I’m not sure what it effect it has on the pitches. For whatever reason, though, both have great rising fastballs. Just thought it was interesting.

The pivot leg is more than just the leg that supports the body as it turns-twists-collapses and drives in the direction of the pitch. (basically). This leg is an integral part of the body’s balancing system as the stride leg stretches out and plants itself followed by the turning of the hips…… then the upper body uncoils and the shoulders rotate exchanging the glove shoulder with the pitching shoulder. All of this mind you while the body is descending down a sloping surface.
So, some pitchers have an unsolicited response from their balance sensors/mechanism to hold back the pivot leg. Some pitchers extend their pivot let straight out behind them upon finishing their delivery, while others simply drag their leg along or just inches off the surface of the mound. Tom Seaver was one who used this technique. In fact, if you watch some of his video as he progressed in age – skill, you’ll notice he alters this style slightly depending on his pitch selection on any given day.
By the way, you’re a pitcher, right? Try this technique for yourself and see if it actually balances you off, makes the delivery process more stable, and/or lets you fit into the mound(s) better. However, I’m only suggesting that you try this posture, just as a teaching aid so that you’ll learn more about why you sometimes do things while your pitching. I am NOT a proponent of this format nor do I support it’s deliberate use as fundamental. But, sometimes the human body makes an unsolicited response in reaction to its environment – static or otherwise.
An extreme example to the contrary – upsetting the balance between movement and momentum can be see in the video footage of Hall of Fame great Bob Gibson, when he was with St Louis. His motion from the windup was so pronounced - tilting noticeably towards first baseline that his pivot leg literally kicked up and spun around in a half-circle. A very intimating thing for a batter to be looking at, I can assure you.
In any event, some pitchers – like Gibson, because of their pitch selection, or their forceful drive forward, will actually whirl around either to their glove side or their pitching side, or, will dive downward with a short but pronounced stutter-step (like skipping), mostly because of the pivot leg’s contribution or lack there of the balance afforded.
Again, as a pitcher – go out to the field and try various pivot leg postures. You would be amazed at how important this leg is to your delivery, accuracy, and finish form.

Sorry, but I don’t see the “toe tap”.

It will vary. Sometimes Pedro’s right leg will come around and he’ll sweep it in front of his body. Other times, he does the toe tap where is right leg swings to about the 3-4 o’clock (imagine a top-down perspective) positions and he’ll stab the ground with his toes.

I was just watching a video a week ago that highlighted Pedro’s performance out of the bullpen in the 2002 or 2003 post season. I wish I could find the link again.

Still pictures will help. His back foot is off the rubber at release, then he "taps"the ground on follow-through.

go kazmir

omg, that looks like he just broke his ankle:P
nasty picture ^^

altho most bball pictures have those weird things:P
mate of mine had a picture where it seamed(;)) he broke his arm or somethnig