Pat's online Pitching Journal

Debating heavily on whether to play summer ball or just play mens ball and train back home. Have 3 teams trying to get me to play WMBL, apparently a scout recommended me to a couple of these coaches. Puts me in a tough situation. Summer ball is probably a good place to showcase, especially now that I have something worth showcasing. On the other hand trained and played mens ball last summer and gained 4 mph while being able to take an internship at a civil engineering firm. Could I get some input on the subject thanks.

A really great read. http://jaysprospects.com/2016/01/12/gabe-noyalis-blue-jays/

Great story!

Depends what you are trying to showcase I guess.
Your situation is a little different than most guys as you are getting pro interest already. I would always favor working out over playing organized summer ball for most young players. Guys just don’t develop ability (work on pitches, develop velocity, get in great shape ect) playing 60 games over the summer. If you are a PO this hold true even more so as you are usually sitting around for hours a day in the summer heat waiting to pitch. At least this has been my sons experience. If you are playing in a that league will benefit draft spot or getting a great offer from a great school you want to go to maybe do that. Outside of that, I always favor training hard in the offseason. My son played mens league while working out and trying to recover from a back injury getting cut from his college team the year before. The benefit to mens league is he could work on things vs live hitters (although not great hitters) without having to worry about results or worry about getting pulled after an inning. So, he could treat them like weekly extended pens…starting about 60 pitches and working his way up to 120 pitches.
If you are going to do the workout approach, have a well thought out plan and make it your religion this offseason.
As for the article, it was a good read. There are those “late bloomer” guys. He had played in several years and was throwing harder than when he last played…he naturally finished growing and got heavier and stronger in the process. Not the norm of course. The article says most MLBers are throwing mid to high 90’s…this isn’t true. The MLB average FB velocity was 92 mph last year. Most guys out of the pen probably are throwing mid 9’s now and velo keeps rising, but, that is an overstatement. 98 is still very rare.

Some great feedback, I am thinking it is in my best interests not to do summerball. You make a great point with 60 games after a 60 game season! I think that taking a summer to train and develop my tools would be better than polishing what I have right now. Already have a summer training plan in place with ARMory, Driveline, Tread Athletics and Texas BB Ranch stuff. Will actually post it, it is a MS word document. I thought that article was really neat. The guy hadn’t thrown in however long and he was actually throwing a little harder than when he had been regularly throwing. Just goes to show that strength plays a real big factor in velocity and when a solid foundation of strength is paired with the correct movement sequencing in throwing a baseball, unbelievable things can happen!

Awesome!!
I have been fortunate enough to go to Driveline (before their move) in Seattle and Kyle’s stuff is great. Armory, Ben Brewster with Tread and Texas BB Ranch all do great things…some very similar things and some things differently. Pick and choose from those minds and attack it hard and I am sure you will have a great off season.
The advantage my son gained by playing mens league is there was not some coach sitting on a bucket, chewing seeds looking to yank him if he walked two guys. He could relax and work a pitch specifically in an outing. Trying to win of course, but, that was not a priority at all. His team was funny. The youngest guy just turned 18 and the oldest was 56. Some had never played in high school and some played D1 several years ago. Funny mix. Overall the league is not great, but, thats fine…he was there to work on his command and getting him back healthy.
His summer ball schedule last year was 63 games in something like 58 days…a lot of traveling too. Coaches insisted you were there even if you were not going to pitch. So, a lot of double headers…made it very difficult to fully workout and gain weight.

pretty good video to watch. Identifies a lot of common problems with throwers

Talked to a baseball mind tonight, he compared me to this guy. Similar delivery and frame (his obviously being way more mature). At 240 lbs Clayton Richard is ~90-94 touching 95. At 207 I am 87-89 touching 90. I think I got to get bigger to get better!

He is a huge guy…6’ 5" 240 lbs…
Look up Dr. Michael Yesis. I love Dr. Yesis’ work, but, he seriously does not like how Richard trains and lifts. Pretty funny actually.

couldnt find any specific articles where Yessis talks about Richards. However found some good stuff, seems you are not alone in liking his work… Cressey cites him quite a bit.

He is a pretty smart guy.
One of the first to bring plyometrics to the U.S. and really studied what the Soviets were doing in the 70’s. Much of his stuff has been…shall we say, borrowed…by trainers that are out there now. So it goes.
I had the opportunity to talk to Dr. Yesis several times and work with him once on something…it took all of 15 seconds before he yelled at me for referring to the waist and not the hips…he is cool.
Anyway, he is convinced Richards lifts too much. Yesis is in Escondido (San Diego suburb) so he is familiar with him. Lifting too much upper body is his hang up.
I love the video regarding the javelin as well.
Track and field throwers train much, much harder than most pitchers are allowed to. Much can be learned from their approach.

From my understanding elite track and field throwers are a lot farther ahead with their development programs. Stole some great drills from Olympic track throwers tons of good stuff out there. Almost considering working with a javelin coach over the summer if I forego summer ball. Will post some more great javelin videos very interesting. They are big into the ground force reaction that the lead leg undergoes.

Javelin Throwers Workout Video

Japanese Javelin Champion Throwing 94 mph with a baseball

Yeah, I have read that.
Correlation between the lead (landing) leg and throwing power. They look like Adonis while most pitchers looks like marathon runners.

That Japanese thrower has some powerful rotational going on. Not in the normal “hip shoulder separation” way pitchers usually do. But, good example of “core” work…rotational power through the core…as opposed to sit ups or crunches.
Also, look how rock solid that landing leg is. Very strong and stable and he can certainly rotate around that post just fine.
Might want to replace the wrestling mask with a batting helmet too…

Wrestling mask was definitely a bold strategy by the hitter. Video could have become a tragedy in an instant.

that is amazing. this is why japan are the kings of baseball.