Pat's online Pitching Journal

My name is Patrick… I am from Saskatchewan, Canada and this is my Pitching Journal that will help me chart my progress as a pitcher as of this moment… In 2008 I made a promise to myself that I would do everything I could to become the best baseball player I could be, I made that promise when I was in bantam baseball (when I was 13) playing A ball (lowest division). Since then I have tried to keep that promise to myself making it all the way up to making the midget AAA D-backs (similar to varsity teams in the states) in 2010. This year I am practicing regularly with my provinces team (hosts the best players in Saskatchewan), as I continue to practice with the Saskatoon D-backs. I have been recently accepted to “Vauxhall Academy of Baseball” which is considered to be one of the best Baseball Academies in Canada. Well that’s me I will continue to post regularly, I have speed & agility training tonight so Ive got to keep this short today. Heres some info on me:

Name: Patrick
Year: Grade 11
Starting Height: 6’2"
Starting Weight: 168 lbs
Throws/Bats: Left/S
Other Positions: CF,1B
Alternate Sports: Wrestling, Hockey, Football
Velocity: 81 Mph
60 Yard Time: 7.09 s
Pitches: 4-seam, Split Finger, Developing Knuckle Curve

Long Term Goals: -Make Canada Cup Team
-Have Success in Vauxhall
-Make Junior Team Canada
-Become a Successful Div 1 Pitcher
-Get Drafted
-Learn as much as I can about the game
-Improve each day
-Master the mental game
My Plan: -Practice as much as I can
-Practice as best as I can
-Stick to my workout/throwing programs
-Have fun playing the game

Everyone here will hold you to it man.

Thanks, Ill work hard and see where it takes me!

Practice tonight went really well! We are into week 6 already and we just got into some polymetrics today… We worked on running form and lateral movement… I’ am really seeing improvement from these workouts, they are helping with hip/shoulder separation and posture, I think these are indirectly improving my pitching mechanics…

Good luck on your goals, always nice to see a fellow Canadian on here.

Vauxhall is a great place to develop as a player.

If you make your Canada Cup team you’ll have to let me know since this tear its being hosted in my hometown.

Have you started looking at Colleges in the states yet?

You have a private message.

Thank you, I will be sure to let you know if I make my Canada Cup Team. I have talked to some junior college coaches, and Im currently studying for my SAT’s. I think that if I get good and work hard Vauxhall can probably set me up with something down in the states… I’m trying to be proactive in getting a scholarship, but Ive just got to see what happens I guess. If you have any tips or suggestions, I would be happy to hear them!

Todays Workout
I break my workouts into 3 day rotations, Upper Body, Lower Body/Abdominal, and Agility/Polymetrics/Cardiovascular. This is my lower body and abdominal workout. It usually takes an hour and a half. Please give me feedback on it, I would really appreciate it thanks…
-10 minute stationary bike warmup
-Light Dumbell and Tubing workout

-10 reps, 2 sets at a 202 tempo of:
- Flexion
- 45 Degree Flexion
- Abduction
- Internal/External Rotation
- Reverse Throw
-Functional Strength Exercises

• Front Squats 6 reps, 3 sets at a 301 tempo
  • Deadlifts 3 reps, 2 sets 301 tempo
  • Leg Curls/Extensions 15 reps, 3 sets 103 tempo
  • Calf Raises 15 reps, 3 sets 103 tempo
  • Step Ups 12 reps, 3 sets 212 tempo
    - Ab Excersises 2 sets of 30 secounds
    -Scissor Kicks
    -Leg Raises
    -Crunches
    -Bridges
    -Table Tops
    -Plyometric Exercises (med ball)
    -Diagonal Chops 8 reps, 2 sets
    -Forward Lunges 12 reps, 2 sets
    -Pull Over Throw 8 reps, 2 sets
    -Reverse Rotational Throw 12 reps, 2 sets
    -Rotational Throw 12 reps, 2 sets
    -Cool Down
    -3 minutes Stationary bike
    -Rope Flex Exercises
    -Calf Stretch
    -Single-Leg Pelvic Tilt
    -Bent-Knee Hamstring
    -Straight Leg Hamstring
    -Groin Stretch
    -Hip Abductor
    -Side to Sides
    -Grab and Releases

Pretty solid program, is it something the Academy set you up with?

As far as tips definitely check the High School Baseball Web and soak up everything from there that applies to the recruiting process.

Have you thought about doing the ACT as opposed to the SAT?

How are your grades? That’s the BIGGEST factor if your marks are good then it makes everything else easier because then a Coach won’t have to worry about you struggling to stay eligible academically. You could be a stud but if your marks aren’t there it makes things very difficult for you.

Thank you, its a combination of some of their program, (I have a friend currently attending Vauxhall and Ive gone through some of their workouts with him) and TUFF CUFF.

I took a look at High School Baseball Web seems like an excellent resource, I could definately learn a lot from it.

I wasnt really aware of the ACT… It probably wouldn’t hurt to do both…

I would say my grades are pretty good, I’m a solid 80s student and I’m currently in the Advanced Placement

Your grades are fine with those marks, just make sure to keep them up. I was the same upper 80s and once the admissions offices figured out where that stood in the GPA scale marks were never an issue.

The ACT is said to be easier then the SAT especially now since the “new” SAT has a written portion to it.

Just be sure that whatever schools you’re looking at accepts the ACT.

Ive been out of town for a while for wrestling provincials so I havent been able to update this for a few days… Ill try and put up the rest of my workout tommorow if I have time.

You guys still have wrestling out there, that’s cool. In Ontario they put an end to it a while ago. I remember in my HS we had an area that was for the wrestling mat and some other stuff for it and it just sat there for years not being used except to teach first aid in.

So are you worried that wrestling could potentially injure yourself and cause you to miss time from practice or off season workouts?

Saskatchewan, (Saskatoon in particular) has some of the best wrestling in Canada. In fact last year 2 Saskatoon athletes went to the pan-ams for wrestling placing 1st and 2nd.

I have never been injured wrestling and I am not really worried since I just capped off my final year. When it comes to injuries in wrestling it is usually do to the wrestler being inexperienced.

Cool I didn’t know that about Saskatoon, I played out in the WMBL back in '05 out there always liked going to Saskatoon.

How’s your workouts going?

My cousins played in 05 with the Beavers,Mat and Mike Larson! Stoons cairns field isnt too bad!

Upper Body Workout
-10 Minute Stationary Bike Warmup
-Light Dumbbell and Tubing Workout (same in each workout refer to Lower Body Workout)

-Functional Strength Exercises
-Tricep Push-Down (Machine) 3 sets, 15 reps 103 tempo
-Reverse-Grip Curl (Barbell) 3 sets, 15 reps 103 tempo
-Chest Press (Dumbbells) 3 sets, 15 reps 102 tempo
-Upright Row (Hydrolic) 3 sets, 12 reps 103 tempo
-Lat Pulldown (Machine) 3 sets, 12 reps 102 tempo
-Chin-Ups 3 sets 12 reps
-Pull Ups (Squat Bars) 2 sets, 10 reps 102 tempo
-Wrist Extension Curl 2 sets, 10 reps 102 tempo
-Wrist Curl 3 sets, 15 reps 102 tempo
-Elbow Circuit (mallet hammer) 2 sets 10 reps 303 tempo
-Forward (seated)
-Internal Rotation (seated)
-External Rotation (seated)
-Backward (standing)
-Plyometric Exercises (med ball) Same as Lower Body Workout
-Cool Down

• 5 minutes Rowing Machine

Yeah I enjoyed playing there and same with Reginas stadium with the oil riggs all lit up at night as the background. Hated that stupid mesh screen in RF though it prevented a few guys from hitting absolute bombs whenever we played there. Swift currents field wasn’t to shabby either same with Yorkton’s

Your workout is looking pretty good, what about your throwing program?

Ive been throwing all year, taking 2 weeks off from throwing over Christmas (I still practiced with towel drills and stick drills). After easing back into throwing I have worked my way up to 45 pitch bullpens, I’m also doing long-toss twice a week (following the Jaeger Sports long toss program heres a link
http://www.jaegersports.com/Arm-Strength-and-Conditioning/
). I’m throwing at least 3 times a week.

Ya the mesh screen isnt too popular, Spitz Stadium in Lethbridge is a great place to play also…[/url]

Jaeger’s program is awesome.

That’s good you’ve been able to throw year round that helps forsure.

I never had the chance to pitch in lethbridge, I’ve seen some picks and it does look good.