Parents not wanting you to play baseball?

I’m a college freshman and I commute to school from my home. I played baseball since I was 8 and I had to beg my dad to play for the little league. After my junior year of high school, I began to see small hints from my parents insinuating that I should stop playing and work. I had a pretty successful senior season, and it led to getting offers from NAIA universities in the Midwest. After talking with my parents, we found that turning those down and going to a NCAA D2 university near my home would be much cheaper. After talking with coaches, i have a good chance of walking on (tryout is in 2 weeks). As it gets closer and closer to the tryout date, more hints keep appearing to stop baseball, until my dad told me straight up to just move on with life and stop playing ball.
I’ve tried looking up topics like my case, but I can only find parents pushing kids to play too hard. In some cases, I understand quitting baseball and working to make money, but we aren’t exactly poor.
I can’t see my life without having baseball in my life.

Any advice?

Go for it & continue to play. My guess is if you don’t try you’ll have regets. Best wishes and best of luck!

Your parents sound like a lot of fun.

Why does your dad say they want you to stop?

I’m going to try and put this in perspective from your parent’s point of view.

Your earning capacity going into adulthood is a short lived one at the outset. You either get it or you don’t. There’s no happy medium. What am I talking about? I’m talking about getting that first job right out of college that puts a stake in the ground and marks the starting point and reference for money that you’re starting off with - which by the way will be the best or worse point to negotiate future jobs and salaries thereafter. Your choice of college, your subjects (major) and the marks that you acquire will be the test of your attention span and competency index for everyone and anyone that you interview with. Spread that attention span out with playing baseball, and you’re risking a lower watermark for others in the job market to value you at.

If you’re going to college because you’re trying to literally “find yourself,” go looking elsewhere where it’s cheaper. Say, at Burger Doddle where “do you want fries with that?” will be the biggest test of your memory and personality skills.

Look at it this way - work two or three part time jobs to pay for this college experience, get about four to five hours of sleep every night, be almost broke on every weekend, no car, no clothes of any fashion to speak of, a college meal plant that is no meal plan at all, and you’ll soon find baseball to be a vacuum - it sucks!

If you really have the talent to play ball and make it pay for college - that’s different. If not - stick to the reason for college - making money. As much money as you can get your hands on. The perks that come with a college degree that’s worth something ($) are the corner office, great car, a nice home, a place in the Hamptons, and of course… let’s not forget the babes!

It’s up to you to get it right the first time… there is no second chance after high school.
( Did I mention the babes?)

It sounds like you need to have an up-front conversation with your parents where you all put your cards on the table and know exactly where everyone is coming from.

If you love ball, do what you can to continue to play…within being reasonable.
If your parents or scholarships are not paying the bill in full and you are expected to contribute to the expense of college, then you have a difficult decision to make.

It will be difficult to work to pay your share while, at the same time, giving your studies the attention they deserve, and attempting to fulfill the requirements of an athletic team.

If your parents and scholarships are paying for the full ticket, then it will be easier to juggle the athletics and scholastics without a work schedule to factor in.

Either way, it’s a challenge. Just don’t do anything that will put your parents in a situation where they are needing your assistance covering the bill, but you would rather play ball than work. Also, don’t do anything that antagonizes them and they restrict your financial plan further.

Good luck in finding a solution that works for everyone.