Pain

When I threw today the back of my shoulder was moderately painful, so I took a video. Everything appears pretty good to me except I do bring the ball way behind my back in my arm swing. I know a lot of major leaguers bring the ball back like this, but I don’t think any of them do this to the extreme that I do in this video…this is the only thing that I can think of that would be causing me discomfort in my arm…it stinks because everything else was looking perfect (relatively), but now this new problem has arisen. Let me know if you see a problem, and how I could go about fixing it. I can’t throw like this, because it’s too painful, and I’m not sure I can’t not throw like this because it may have become habitual by now.

you must remember there is more to developing a sore arm than mechanics. even if you have good mechanics you can develo tendonitis if you throw too much and/or with too little rest.

also if you do not do an arm strengthening program, you will probably get pain if you use an agressive throwing schedule.

I took three days of complete rest, and do arm strengthening exercises three times a week, and it still hurt. I’m 99% sure it’s my mechanics, no offense.

What exercises do you do specifically for the back-side decelerators?

idk if its just the angle of the camera or something but it looks like your throwing way across your body

I do a tuff-cuff type rotator cuff program, three times a week, as well as blackburns exercises. Again, no offense but I’m fairly certain (99% sure) that this is a mechanical issue. It doesn’t hurt when i try throwing without bringing my arm behind my body like that, problem is, this is what feels natural to me.

i bring my arm back like that but even more and havent had any arm problems, but i noticed that your arm may be a tad low at foot strike - just a very minor thing when comparing to my arm action

possibly be the problem? (most likely not)

maybe its not mechanical if your 99% sure that it is mechanical dont you think you be close to knowing what causes it? anyway maybe it is just soreness, coulda got sore from throwing and then not enough rest. you said u gave 3 days of rest. you were still doin exercises though so thats not complete rest. try a week off and if that doesnt work youll know its mechanics for sure. the thing i can see from you vid is you start the shoulders in a rocker with front shoulder up and back down but when you get to release you come a lil sidearmish. like your pushing your chest out and letting your arm drag to far behind. usually with that rocker style you wana come more over the top. might be why back of shoulder is hurting

maybe its not mechanical if your 99% sure that it is mechanical dont you think you be close to knowing what causes it? anyway maybe it is just soreness, coulda got sore from throwing and then not enough rest. you said u gave 3 days of rest. you were still doin exercises though so thats not complete rest. try a week off and if that doesnt work youll know its mechanics for sure. the thing i can see from you vid is you start the shoulders in a rocker with front shoulder up and back down but when you get to release you come a lil sidearmish. like your pushing your chest out and letting your arm drag to far behind. usually with that rocker style you wana come more over the top. might be why back of shoulder is hurting[/quote]

ok thank you for your comments…I’ll let you know if the problem persists.

Roger, where could I get a list of decelerator muscle exercises?[/quote]
Here are some. (This is from the NPA article, “Weak Link Analysis: Sub-Scapular Muscle Density”)

[i]Below are some exercises to increase sub scapular muscle density.

Internal/External Rotation using Light Dumbbells or Cords
(use no more than 5lbs of resistance to start)

Hold weight or band in front of torso and keep elbow against the ribcage
Rotate arm away from the body while keeping elbow on the ribcage
Bring arm back to starting position
Reps to tolerance
Repeat steps while rotating arm in towards the body
Reps to Tolerance

Bent Over Rows

Using a weight bench, place left hand and left knee on bench
Hold weight in right hand and leave arm extended but not locked out
Bring weight straight up and finish with hand next to the chest (For added difficulty, extend elbow)
Slowly lower the weight back to starting position
Reps to tolerance
Repeat on Both sides[/i]

Roger, where could I get a list of decelerator muscle exercises?[/quote]
Here are some. (This is from the NPA article, “Weak Link Analysis: Sub-Scapular Muscle Density”)

[i]Below are some exercises to increase sub scapular muscle density.

Internal/External Rotation using Light Dumbbells or Cords
(use no more than 5lbs of resistance to start)

Hold weight or band in front of torso and keep elbow against the ribcage
Rotate arm away from the body while keeping elbow on the ribcage
Bring arm back to starting position
Reps to tolerance
Repeat steps while rotating arm in towards the body
Reps to Tolerance

Bent Over Rows

Using a weight bench, place left hand and left knee on bench
Hold weight in right hand and leave arm extended but not locked out
Bring weight straight up and finish with hand next to the chest (For added difficulty, extend elbow)
Slowly lower the weight back to starting position
Reps to tolerance
Repeat on Both sides[/i][/quote]