Pain in muscle on top-inside of forearm

My son (18y/o) has been experencing pain in or around the muscle that is located on the top - inside of the forearm from the elbow toward the thumb. He stopped throwing (relief pitcher for fallball) for a few days and he seemd to have less pain the next time he threw. He says he has no pain when not throwing. Could this be a sign of a UCL problem or something else. Originally I thought that he was just sore form not throwing for about a month and then starting up fallball, but he has not thrown more that two innings three time a week. Any info is welcomed.

It could be tendinitis (which I’m battling right now in the same location), but I’m sure the experts on this forum will give you good advice. Good luck!

From what you have described it sound like your son either had a strain or tendonitis. Both can cause a dull achy pain at rest and a sharp pain while doing activity. The most common causes that I have seen are 1) throwing without proper warm-up. 2) Trying to throw a ball too hard, causing a strain. 3) Pronation (rotation from outside in) of the forearm mostly seen in curveballs. 4) Not following through the pitching motion (stopping the arm too soon at the end of the motion). 5) Throwing too many pitches in a game. 6) Not throwing for a period of time and trying to come bask to fast.

I would not be concerned with a UCL problem at this point. The signs we worry about when there is an ulnar collaterar ligament problem are those of compression of the ulnar nerve, numbness, burning pain, and isolated pain at the ULC.

Ice, rest, and a controlled pitching and exercise program will usually bring the athlete back to full go in a week or two.

Does anybody know if there are any exercises to strengthen the elbow to avoid tendonitis? I am currently going through the same thing.

Wrist extensions and flexions - after resting long enough to allow healing.

“My son (18y/o) has been experencing pain in or around the muscle that is located on the top - inside of the forearm from the elbow toward the thumb. He stopped throwing (relief pitcher for fallball) for a few days and he seemd to have less pain the next time he threw. He says he has no pain when not throwing. Could this be a sign of a UCL problem or something else.”

Is this still a problem?

If so, can you tell me more. Exactly where is the pain located? Does it vary from pitch to pitch?

It doesn’t sound like a UCL problem (which doesn’t mean that it’s nothing).

Chris