Pain all the time? Normal or not?

Im a 14yr right handed 140 5’8 boy.

Whenever I pitch, there is always a pain in my bicep or on my deltoid

(shoulder) Is this normal or not? I pitch a lot actually but I do have 2 or 3

days to rest before I pitch again. I usually play 2 games a week and pitch in

both. I will go for 3-5 innings before getting pulled. I throw a fastball and a

curveball. My curveball is correct, I come over the ball and not to the side like

most kids.

I do ice my arm for 10-15 minutes or until I can’t fell my arm anymore.

So the question again is, is it normal for a pitcher to have a little pain in his

when he is pitching.

[quote=“souther32”]Im a 14yr right handed 140 5’8 boy.

Whenever I pitch, there is always a pain in my bicep or on my deltoid

(shoulder) Is this normal or not? I pitch a lot actually but I do have 2 or 3

days to rest before I pitch again. I usually play 2 games a week and pitch in

both. I will go for 3-5 innings before getting pulled. I throw a fastball and a

curveball. My curveball is correct, I come over the ball and not to the side like

most kids.

I do ice my arm for 10-15 minutes or until I can’t fell my arm anymore.

So the question again is, is it normal for a pitcher to have a little pain in his

when he is pitching.[/quote]

This is defintiely NOT normal.

Have you been to a doctor? If not, you should.

It sounds to me like the root cause of the problem is that you are pitching too much. At 14, you are at a very vulnerable age. You are developing the muscles of a man but still have the bones of a child (and icing your arm will do nothing to deal with this fact).

You shouldn’t be pitching more than once a week.

thanx, I have set up a time with a docter tommorow.

That’s great!

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

There could be a mechanical cause to your shoulder problems.

Chris i know you seem to know alot more about pitching than i do but is it that serious i mean hes complaining about muscles and not ligaments. Im not arguing with you just curious so i can know more.

The reasons that I think this could be serious are…

1. He’s talking about pain, not just soreness.
  2. The pain is constant.
  3. It sounds like he is pitching too much, which means that this could be an overuse injury.

Also, the location of the pain could suggest a problem with the muscles of the rotator cuff.

Finally, because of something called “referred pain,” you can feel pain in one place but actualy have a problem in a different place.

Ya thats a good point there is a fine difference between soreness and pain. I guess when you have soreness in those areas its not neccessarily a bad thing. I actually dont mind soreness in those areas, rather those than inside and underneath elbow. Thanks for the info.

One other thing…
It wouldn’t be abnormal to experience soreness AFTER you pitch. But in this case he said that he was getting pain while he was pitching. It’s probably a combination of overuse and not-perfect mechanics that are leading to some lingering pain.

[quote=“kc86”]One other thing…
It wouldn’t be abnormal to experience soreness AFTER you pitch. But in this case he said that he was getting pain while he was pitching. It’s probably a combination of overuse and not-perfect mechanics that are leading to some lingering pain.[/quote]

Exactly.

Soreness after pitching is normal.

Pain during (or after) pitching isn’t normal.

Thanx everyone! I went to him a he did some movements with my arm and some crazy things and basiclly he said that I was pitching to much and my arm needed some time off to allow it to grow. Just like you said,

“It sounds to me like the root cause of the problem is that you are pitching too much. At 14, you are at a very vulnerable age. You are developing the muscles of a man but still have the bones of a child (and icing your arm will do nothing to deal with this fact).” Chris O’Leary

Thats what he told me, almost word for word.
Thanx again everyone and I appreciate it very much.