Overtraining

What percentage of people do you think overtrain in their workout?

Maybe 20% of all those athletes through pro ball whop actually train.

The real question is, how many pitchers undertrain? :slight_smile:

Agree. And…

1. Train right
  2. Really work on their mechanics (that is, understand and improve…not just throw bullpens).

Of the people that actually workout, the answer is high. It’s why people don’t stick with workout plans for very long, especially if they designed their plan themselves. Or found some bodybuilding routine.

depends on the definition of overtraining.

depends on who you ask. different people have different definitions.

I try to never have an “easy” day while training. I go as hard as i can until I can’t anymore, then i take a deload. These periods are usually 4-5 weeks of training then a 5-7 day deload. Odds are very few people are overtraining. If your having symptoms of this, or think you are, odds are youre lacking in something else, such as sleep or nutrition.

Just my opinion, its the guidelines i follow. Of course theres going to be people that disagree with me.

The 3-4 week training period that culminates in a “peak” phase with a week deload is pretty common (Westside Barbell made it popular) and it works. We use it with our intermediate athletes. However, our novice/beginner guys (anyone seriously training < 1 year in the weight room) lift 3-4 times per week progressively loading their lifts while taking no scheduled deloads. They can handle the rapid adaptation.

How is this a mystery? It is obvious that they overtrained and had negative reactions to the supplements they were taking. Very moronic if you ask me.

[quote=“TheUnDiscovered”]How is this a mystery? It is obvious that they overtrained and had negative reactions to the supplements they were taking. Very moronic if you ask me.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2011-01-26-iowa-hospitalizations_N.htm[/quote]

Sounds like a CROSSFIT workout. True overtraining is pretty rare & can take months to recover from. There are both physical and pyschological issues associated with it.

Burnout isn’t quit as rare - since many times people workout without a clear goal in mind and never really understand why they are working out - so they push it too hard all the time - which results in injury or boredom. If you have been in a gym since January 1st - you will start seeing this first wave of burnout happening on a large scale either next week or the week after. Finally, people will stop doing curls in the squat rack!