Overthrowing vs. reaching back 4 something extra

Yesterday I heard an announcer during the MArlins game say that Dontrlelle Willis was overthrowing in the beginning fo the year, trying to do to much; evidenced by his spike in velocity … however, Willis’
results early on were poor as far as his pitching line goes …

Now Dontrelle is not trying to throw sooo hard, and he’s doing better…

While that’s all well and good and makes sense… I can’t help but wonder how when Pedro takes the mound now his fastball rarely ever cracks 90. But you always hear them say that ‘Pedro always saves somethign in the tank and he’ll reach back for something extra and crank it up when he needs to’ … meaning that in key situations he sometimes hits 92, 93 …

Well, my question is, is Pedro not “overthrowing” in those key situations?

Is it possible that overthrowing in selective strategic situations is fine and equates to simply giving it something extra … whereas always trying to give it something extra constitutes overthrowing ? I suppose the latter practice is harmful in that it will wear you out?

I think Over throwing is just when you attempt to throw beyond your ability. Like a guy who maxes out at 85 trying to hit 90+ out of the blue.
Pedro can “reach back” and hit the mid 90’s when he needs to because he has good control and hes not throwing beyond his ability HE HAS the ability to hit mid 90’s but he chooses not to alot in agmaes to save his arm stamina. He is getin old.(this is all my opinion)

overthrowing is a result of poor mechanics, doing more than you can, fatigue, etc

reaching back is using all you have to get someone out. You’re not changing your mechanics by much, ect.

Overthrowing is uaually when you’re behind, in trouble

Reaching back is rising to the occasion.

I made as much sense as I could

Most pitchers pitch at about 4 to 5 mph below their maximum velocity. This is usually where they have the best command of their fastball. Many good pitchers also have the ability to throw the ball somewhere around the strikezone at 1 or 2 mph below their maximum velocity. This can be a very effective pitch in the right situation, as it is a change in speed.

However, when a pitcher tries to throw all his fastballs at 1 or 2 mph below his maximum velocity it is no longer a change in speed and he no longer has good command. This is overthrowing and the result is usually a very poor outing. Sometimes at the HS level and below pitchers can get away with this because they are simply overmatching the hitters but at any higher level it seldom works.

I’m pretty sure when they mean “Reaching back for more” They either haven’t been going all out on every pitch or they just throw a 2-Seam Fastball instead of a 4 Seam. I think that’s what they mean when they talk about Josh Beckett “Reaching back for more”. Beckett can hit 95 or 96 but he usually throws about 92 or 93, and you’ll see him hit 96 during the games and he does throw a 2-Seam.

CADad had it correctly.

Most pitchers seem to have better control a few mph below their maximum velocity and at a key point in the game they can reach back and it looks like they put a little extra on it when in fact theyre just throwing their maximum speed.

Overthrowing is when your trying to dial it up on every single pitch and your mechanics change and you lose some control.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]Yesterday I heard an announcer during the MArlins game say that Dontrlelle Willis was overthrowing in the beginning fo the year, trying to do to much; evidenced by his spike in velocity … however, Willis’
results early on were poor as far as his pitching line goes …

Now Dontrelle is not trying to throw sooo hard, and he’s doing better…

While that’s all well and good and makes sense… I can’t help but wonder how when Pedro takes the mound now his fastball rarely ever cracks 90. But you always hear them say that ‘Pedro always saves somethign in the tank and he’ll reach back for something extra and crank it up when he needs to’ … meaning that in key situations he sometimes hits 92, 93 …

Well, my question is, is Pedro not “overthrowing” in those key situations?

Is it possible that overthrowing in selective strategic situations is fine and equates to simply giving it something extra … whereas always trying to give it something extra constitutes overthrowing ? I suppose the latter practice is harmful in that it will wear you out?[/quote]theres one difference between reaching back and overthrowing, when you overthrow, you change your mechaincs and you lose all your mechaincs you should have and you LOSE velocity, reaching back is keeping good mechanics and throwing to where your supposed to

Some days though, you might just feel good and be throwing harder than you ever had before- you’re just in the zone. That happened to me last night, I came in the last inning with bases loaded and nobody out. I was just throwing harder than I ever thought I could and I felt great. Struck out the side. :wink:

Cherish those days because they do not come too often. This Spring Training when the the Tiger’s pitching staff was being interviewed Kenny Rogers said a pitcher only has his “stuff” about 1 out of every five starts.