Overthinking?

I tend to over think a lot when I am on the mound, like if I have a guy on 3-2 and all I need is a strike, all I think about is getting a strike, and I usually end up just missing. If I have a similar situation tho and my mind is clear I can for the majority of the time hit my spot with no questions asked. So I was wondering if anyone has this same problem, and if they have a way that could help me stay in the clear mind state?

Get the ball…throw it. As simple as it sounds, the less amount of time you spend in deep thought the better. Your mechanics should take charge and you should have a plan of attack but keep it moving, your catcher, your defense, your coach, the umpire and your fans will probably throw you a party. You’ll be happy because you’ll develop a rhythm and find yourself being more accurate and less tired…give it a whack, let us know :smiley:

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try next week most definitely let you guys know.

jd said it best, trust your stuff and everything will work just fine. the more you experience tight situations the more relaxed you will get and succeed. good luck!

Yeah, experience definitley helps, not to mention some nice run support. When you start to think to much thats when you mess up, just throw the ball and let your mechanics take over

Did just that tonight in relief, even tho it was only two innings, hitting my spots with the fastball and my knuckler was making people look stupid left and right. I only used the palmer once or twice, but still hit my spots with that as well.

when i catch myself overthinking i always just step off the mound. taking a few deep breaths in through my nose has always had a calming effect on me (i have no clue why). i’ll walk around, lick my fingers, and just think of the times in the past that ive been in the situation and thrown my pitch. it might all sound a little Disney but it seems to work for me.

It’s not “overthinking” rather it is misdirected thinking.

When you think about “getting a strike,” you are thinking about the RESULT when you need to be thinking about the PROCESS (mechanics) that leads to a strike.

even thinking about your mechaincs can be the wrong thinking. no matter what the situation you need to have an open mind on the hill. the best thought on the mound is no thought at all.

That is what i had been working on doing, because even tho i do think about the effects of the pitch before it is thrown, but i get the best results when im not thinking at all.

tx-righty wrote:

even thinking about your mechanics can be the wrong thinking. no matter what the situation you need to have an open mind on the hill. the best thought on the mound is no thought at all.

Papibon writes:

Certainly if you become obsessed with mechanics but going through a check list to remind yourself of the process that leads to a desired result is beneficial. The hitter in front of you, if he is any good, is thinking about your tendencies and what pitch you got him out on in his last at bat. Baseball is thinking at it’s core;making necessary adjustments in the process to get the job done.

My 11 year old son closed out a game yesterday (2nd time he’s pitched in his life). The 1st two batters hit weak ground balls for outs…pitches at their knees. The last batter was the opposing pitcher. He got a fastball in tight that was fouled off. The next pitch was a change up that he missed…another change up fouled off…the last pitch was a fast ball high and outside and the batter couldn’t check his swing.

I was curious and asked my son about his pitch selection for the above at bat and he told me that he noticed that the opposing pitcher was “down” from giving up the go ahead runs in the previous inning. He knew the kid was anxious to make up for it at the plate and my son took advantage of the batter’s eagerness. He was thinking about the process and was fortunate enough to get the desired result.

While it is desirable to have repeatable mechanics without much or any thought it is also equally important to have a plan on how you approach a specific batter and that requires observation and thought. The key is not to have the wrong thought i.e., I need to get a strike on a 3-2 count…what is really needed is an out that doesn’t cost a run…could be a strikeout, ground ball;pop up;fly ball. Pitch to the hitter’s weakness and tendencies.

comparing a mental game plan and thinking about throwing strikes (or stressing about mechanics) is like comparing apples to oranges. im not saying you just got up and throw any pitch to any hitter, you need to have that worked out with a catcher before a game or before the inning. when it comes time to pitch you need to be zoned in to the catchers mitt and nothing else. anything more than that is a distraction and stops you from throwing at more than 100%

I don’t think it’s a comparison but more of a distinction between what you want to do and the process of making that happen. “Zoning in on the catcher’s mitt” is process. So, I agree with your goal of not being distracted but rather, being “zoned in.” Even if you are “zoned in” however,you’re still thinking about the mitt!

I think the question is (and raised by MCR35) what is the game plan to manage one’s thoughts when distractions arise? Again, IMHO, it’s getting back to process that leads to the desired result e.g., zoning in on the mitt.

i think how much you focus in a bullpen workout can translate to the game. if you can work on becoming more focused on just the mitt when you’re in the pen you can bring that out in a game and help center yourself in a jam.