Overthink your workout

Lately I have been doing a lot of research on training for pitching and there are so many sides to the topic of how to train. I never really put that much complex thought into my workouts before and now i am starting to really stress about my workout. Is it possible to overthink your workout program or is really that percise of a part to your pitching career??

I always just valued the muscle and strength that I gained from the workout

The most important thing is balance. Work the back side as much or more as you work the front side.

There is a lot of stuff out there though.

If you’re confused about how you should be working out based on your research, just take all of the similar qualities from the programs you’ve read about and put them into practice. Every program will have some differences, but the similarities are there for a reason.

House is very good at combining the best programs and then adding on his own specialties. I’ve been to Athlete’s Performance, I did Acceleration for 6 years, and I’ve had three different personal trainers. Now while they all have very good workout programs, none are as specific to pitching as House’s is. (That I’ve tried!) And believe me I’ve seen a lot of programs. The new one we did in Detroit was the hardest and the best so far from him. I’m still sore from it today. And not just sore in a couple of places, but all over the place. But, it’s good sore. Not the sore you get when you go the gym and max out bench, squat, etc. (I played football, too, so I know that workout as well. :smiley: )

You can find it in his new book Fastball Fitness. That’s an excellent book, and I highly suggest that everybody on this board reads it. The workout in Detroit had some new twists to that one, but I think it will be on the website soon.

[quote=“truepitcher9”]Lately I have been doing a lot of research on training for pitching and there are so many sides to the topic of how to train. I never really put that much complex thought into my workouts before and now i am starting to really stress about my workout. Is it possible to overthink your workout program or is really that percise of a part to your pitching career??

I always just valued the muscle and strength that I gained from the workout[/quote]
There is something called “paralysis by analysis” that a few trainers and authors talk about. That is, you put so much effort into trying to find the mythical “perfect program” that you dont actually train. There is no magic bullet, and no substitute for hard work. Some programs may be more effective for some people, but most manners of training have value in them. It is up to you as the athlete to make the decision about what to follow and what to discard.

Following a program by a proven strength coach is probably the best way to start. Then as you go you can start to figure out what your body reacts best with. If all else fails, just keep it simple.