Overstriding?

first of all, what i the actual definition of overstriding?

and how do you know when you are doing it?

If your stride is so long that your functional strength doesn’t allow you to maintain good posture and balance and get out over the front leg, then you are over-striding.

thanks

I was a bit worried I was doing this but I’m still not sure

I’ll try t post a vid whenever I can

I wouldn’t imagine that it would be that much of a problem as long as you keep your back knee a little bent. That way it allows you to stay low on the mound and I feel the rest would work itself out.

Overstriding causes some momentum issues as well. If you stride and cannot tranfer forward momentum into the pitch then you might as well have thrown the ball flat footed and not even taken a stride. If you are strong enough and flexible enough to handle a long stride then it could add to your momentum. One of the D1 pitching coaches that I work with have taken players and seem like they should be throwing harder and shown this to them. He shortens their strides and speeds up every aspect of the pitch allowing the pitcher to tranfer more forward momentum into his pitch. Generally the radar gun shows about 3mph faster than before. So 89 to lets 91 or 92 mph, and that is a great change for that level of pitching without any functional training. So what happens next is that a functional trainging and flexibility program takes over to allow a smooth transition of forward momentum from the stride into the pitch. I’ll be the first to say that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. However, his results have been very good in the past.