Overstriding

My son is landing on heal and really has a long stride…is this too much…it seems that his stride leg is too bent and he is not getting good leverage out of it…

well first he should be landing on his toe when he strides, a good way to get used to this i found was pointing my toe down during my leg kick it made landing on my toe feel a lot more natural, comfortable and easier.
and about the stride length itd be easier to tell if u informed everyone about how tall your son is, and about how long his stride is in feet and if he is relatively flexible

Most pitchers tend to try to extend their stride, gets you closer to the plate and tends to increase velocity. Lincecum has a monster stride…maybe you could post some video to let us see what you mean.

I don’t agree with the comment of “he should be landing on his toe when he strides”, you will find pitchers landing on toe, heal and flat…it’s all about how to transfer the weight to the front foot.

[quote=“buwhite”]Most pitchers tend to try to extend their stride, gets you closer to the plate and tends to increase velocity. Lincecum has a monster stride…maybe you could post some video to let us see what you mean.

I don’t agree with the comment of “he should be landing on his toe when he strides”, you will find pitchers landing on toe, heal and flat…it’s all about how to transfer the weight to the front foot.[/quote]The time that landing on the heel is bad is when it dictates which was the toe points. For me, I used to land on my heel and fly off towards first. Pointing the toe downward will teach him to land on his toes.

Here are a couple of pretty good pitchers that land heal first:

Roger Clemens

Justin Verlander

Brandon Webb and lots more.

It’s not necessarily right but just because he lands on his heal it doesn’t mean that he should change…there should be other reasons to adjust such a dramatic part of a pitchers mechanics.

[quote=“buwhite”]Here are a couple of pretty good pitchers that land heal first:

Roger Clemens

Justin Verlander

Brandon Webb and lots more.

It’s not necessarily right but just because he lands on his heal it doesn’t mean that he should change…there should be other reasons to adjust such a dramatic part of a pitchers mechanics.[/quote]I’m not disagreeing, I am just saying that if he lands and it causes improper mechanics after landing, then it should be changed.

I think he strides too far…lands on heel…and lead leg is bent at 90 angle at strike…so he is very low to ground and not pitching around a solid landing leg…does that make sense?

mromebrazos, can you get some video up for us to look at your assesment?

Didn’t realize that you had another post with the video, I don’t think he is overstriding at all…gave my comments on that post.