Overhand pitcher needs criticism

I’ve only been pitching for around a week and a half in my entire life, so my form isn’t too pretty, haha. Also, excuse my velocity, it’s not that great… yet. and sweat. I’ve been trying different styles, such as submarine. Overhand feels the most comfortable to me though, I can’t seem to get submarine close to right.

Anyone?

You really don’t have the necessary lower body movements to throw even close to effectively. When your front foot lands, you’re still loaded up on your backside. Then, because your hips open at the same time your shoulders open, you try to shift your weight forward by going over your front knee. This prevents you from leveraging your knee to “catapult” the ball forward with good velocity.

You really need to look at the lower body mechanics of some pitchers and see how they get their momentum moving forward into front foot plant. Then their front foot stiffens and their upper body rotates and leverages the front leg to throw effectively. This understanding of the weight shift can be very hard to learn because it is almost innate to most pitchers. The weight shift is similar to when you perform a lunge. Hopefully some other posters can help you out more than I can.

[quote=“BenFA”]You really don’t have the necessary lower body movements to throw even close to effectively. When your front foot lands, you’re still loaded up on your backside. Then, because your hips open at the same time your shoulders open, you try to shift your weight forward by going over your front knee. This prevents you from leveraging your knee to “catapult” the ball forward with good velocity.

You really need to look at the lower body mechanics of some pitchers and see how they get their momentum moving forward into front foot plant. Then their front foot stiffens and their upper body rotates and leverages the front leg to throw effectively. This understanding of the weight shift can be very hard to learn because it is almost innate to most pitchers. The weight shift is similar to when you perform a lunge. Hopefully some other posters can help you out more than I can.[/quote]

So, my hips open at the same time as my shoulders because I’m still loaded up on my backside?

Your biggest problem right now, is the “lurch” forward that your PIVOT foot and leg make as your delivering your baseball. keep that PIVOT foot and leg (the foot and leg on your throwing side) planted in one place at the start of your throw and try and keep it there until the finish of your throw.

I deliberately did not use the word pitch here. That’ll come along as you feel (fit in) with the posture and progression forward like a pitcher.

BenFA brought up some good acvice. Address BenFA’s advice and ikeep that PIVOT FOOT/LEG planted. Don’t lurch/step forward.

Coach B.